Aug 22, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
With the Reds down 8-0 to the Braves last night manager Bryan Price decided to save the bullpen and turned to utility man Skip Schumaker to work the ninth inning.
Schumaker came in from left field and tossed a scoreless inning, allowing only a walk. Pitch-FX clocked his average fastball at 89.2 miles per hour and he topped out at 91.3 mph.
Here’s the MLB.com video:
It was the first time the Reds have used a position player to pitch since 2009, but Schumaker has now pitched four different times in his career. He did it twice for the Dodgers last season and once for the Cardinals before that, and now he’s got a 4.50 ERA in four innings of work.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 220
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (220)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)