Aug 22, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
With the Reds down 8-0 to the Braves last night manager Bryan Price decided to save the bullpen and turned to utility man Skip Schumaker to work the ninth inning.
Schumaker came in from left field and tossed a scoreless inning, allowing only a walk. Pitch-FX clocked his average fastball at 89.2 miles per hour and he topped out at 91.3 mph.
Here’s the MLB.com video:
It was the first time the Reds have used a position player to pitch since 2009, but Schumaker has now pitched four different times in his career. He did it twice for the Dodgers last season and once for the Cardinals before that, and now he’s got a 4.50 ERA in four innings of work.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)