Aug 22, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
With the Reds down 8-0 to the Braves last night manager Bryan Price decided to save the bullpen and turned to utility man Skip Schumaker to work the ninth inning.
Schumaker came in from left field and tossed a scoreless inning, allowing only a walk. Pitch-FX clocked his average fastball at 89.2 miles per hour and he topped out at 91.3 mph.
Here’s the MLB.com video:
It was the first time the Reds have used a position player to pitch since 2009, but Schumaker has now pitched four different times in his career. He did it twice for the Dodgers last season and once for the Cardinals before that, and now he’s got a 4.50 ERA in four innings of work.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)