Aug 22, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports is reporting that Orioles third baseman Manny Machado is expected to undergo season-ending knee surgery within a week. Brown continues, saying that Dr. Neal ElAttrache — who performed the surgery on Machado’s left knee last October, will operate on Machado. The abnormality found in Machado’s left knee last year was also found in his right knee, and the surgery is expected to fix that.
Machado suffered his right knee injury on August 11. The official diagnosis was a sprained right knee ligament. He’ll go on the disabled list with a .278/.324/.431 slash line with 12 home runs and 32 RBI in 354 plate appearances spread out over 82 games.
Chris Davis made his fifth consecutive start at third base this afternoon as the Orioles lost to the Cubs 4-1. With Davis at third base, that has created a spot at first base for Steve Pearce. On days Davis isn’t at third base, Ryan Flaherty should get the start at the hot corner for the AL East-leading Orioles.
Update (6:52 PM ET): The report has been confirmed.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)