Aug 22, 2014, 6:33 PM EST
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports is reporting that Orioles third baseman Manny Machado is expected to undergo season-ending knee surgery within a week. Brown continues, saying that Dr. Neal ElAttrache — who performed the surgery on Machado’s left knee last October, will operate on Machado. The abnormality found in Machado’s left knee last year was also found in his right knee, and the surgery is expected to fix that.
Machado suffered his right knee injury on August 11. The official diagnosis was a sprained right knee ligament. He’ll go on the disabled list with a .278/.324/.431 slash line with 12 home runs and 32 RBI in 354 plate appearances spread out over 82 games.
Chris Davis made his fifth consecutive start at third base this afternoon as the Orioles lost to the Cubs 4-1. With Davis at third base, that has created a spot at first base for Steve Pearce. On days Davis isn’t at third base, Ryan Flaherty should get the start at the hot corner for the AL East-leading Orioles.
Update (6:52 PM ET): The report has been confirmed.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)