Aug 22, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports is reporting that Orioles third baseman Manny Machado is expected to undergo season-ending knee surgery within a week. Brown continues, saying that Dr. Neal ElAttrache — who performed the surgery on Machado’s left knee last October, will operate on Machado. The abnormality found in Machado’s left knee last year was also found in his right knee, and the surgery is expected to fix that.
Machado suffered his right knee injury on August 11. The official diagnosis was a sprained right knee ligament. He’ll go on the disabled list with a .278/.324/.431 slash line with 12 home runs and 32 RBI in 354 plate appearances spread out over 82 games.
Chris Davis made his fifth consecutive start at third base this afternoon as the Orioles lost to the Cubs 4-1. With Davis at third base, that has created a spot at first base for Steve Pearce. On days Davis isn’t at third base, Ryan Flaherty should get the start at the hot corner for the AL East-leading Orioles.
Update (6:52 PM ET): The report has been confirmed.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 9
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)