Aug 22, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports is reporting that Orioles third baseman Manny Machado is expected to undergo season-ending knee surgery within a week. Brown continues, saying that Dr. Neal ElAttrache — who performed the surgery on Machado’s left knee last October, will operate on Machado. The abnormality found in Machado’s left knee last year was also found in his right knee, and the surgery is expected to fix that.
Machado suffered his right knee injury on August 11. The official diagnosis was a sprained right knee ligament. He’ll go on the disabled list with a .278/.324/.431 slash line with 12 home runs and 32 RBI in 354 plate appearances spread out over 82 games.
Chris Davis made his fifth consecutive start at third base this afternoon as the Orioles lost to the Cubs 4-1. With Davis at third base, that has created a spot at first base for Steve Pearce. On days Davis isn’t at third base, Ryan Flaherty should get the start at the hot corner for the AL East-leading Orioles.
Update (6:52 PM ET): The report has been confirmed.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 0
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)