Aug 22, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The Angels’ playoff hopes took a serious hit when they lost Garrett Richards for the season in Wednesday’s game against the Red Sox. The right-hander suffered a ruptured patellar tendon in his left knee and was given a recovery timetable of six to nine weeks.
Without Richards, the Angels’ starting rotation is much less imposing. Hector Santiago and Matt Shoemaker have the club’s next-best ERA’s at 3.46 and 3.56, respectively. As a result, many expect the Angels to pursue starting pitching via the waiver wire — such as Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman — but as Peter Gammons writes on Twitter, the Orioles and Yankees are “claiming everyone“.
The Angels have the best record in baseball, so they are last when it comes to making a waiver claim. That only makes things even more difficult for them to bolster their rotation with roughly five weeks remaining in the regular season.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)