Aug 22, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
The Toronto baseball club is named The Blue Jays. The Creighton University athletic teams are named The Blue Jays. This, combined with an updated Creighton logo, is creating a problem:
The Blue Jays are contesting Creighton University’s use of a new logo, saying the depiction of the school’s “Bluejay” too closely resembles the logo of the major league baseball team. The Blue Jays filed a notice of opposition this month with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, opposing the university’s application for a trademark.
Here’s the Creighton logo, in use since last September:
Here’s the Toronto Blue Jays logo:
More to the point, here’s the old Blue Jays logo which, even if they’re not currently using it, they still hold the trademark for:
That one is way closer to what Creighton is trying to trademark.
And for laughs, here’s a real blue jay:
I think that guy should sue the whole lot of ’em, frankly.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)