Aug 22, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
The Toronto baseball club is named The Blue Jays. The Creighton University athletic teams are named The Blue Jays. This, combined with an updated Creighton logo, is creating a problem:
The Blue Jays are contesting Creighton University’s use of a new logo, saying the depiction of the school’s “Bluejay” too closely resembles the logo of the major league baseball team. The Blue Jays filed a notice of opposition this month with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, opposing the university’s application for a trademark.
Here’s the Creighton logo, in use since last September:
Here’s the Toronto Blue Jays logo:
More to the point, here’s the old Blue Jays logo which, even if they’re not currently using it, they still hold the trademark for:
That one is way closer to what Creighton is trying to trademark.
And for laughs, here’s a real blue jay:
I think that guy should sue the whole lot of ‘em, frankly.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)