Aug 22, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
The Toronto baseball club is named The Blue Jays. The Creighton University athletic teams are named The Blue Jays. This, combined with an updated Creighton logo, is creating a problem:
The Blue Jays are contesting Creighton University’s use of a new logo, saying the depiction of the school’s “Bluejay” too closely resembles the logo of the major league baseball team. The Blue Jays filed a notice of opposition this month with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, opposing the university’s application for a trademark.
Here’s the Creighton logo, in use since last September:
Here’s the Toronto Blue Jays logo:
More to the point, here’s the old Blue Jays logo which, even if they’re not currently using it, they still hold the trademark for:
That one is way closer to what Creighton is trying to trademark.
And for laughs, here’s a real blue jay:
I think that guy should sue the whole lot of ’em, frankly.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 7
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)