Aug 22, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Researching managerial numbers can be a little tricky, but as far as I can tell the only manager since 1960 to have four consecutive 90-loss seasons and keep his job is Tom Kelly of the Twins in the 1990s.
And now the guy who replaced him as Twins manager, Ron Gardenhire, may be joining him on that exclusive list.
Minnesota has lost 95-plus games in three straight seasons and the Twins are on pace to lose 90 this year, but general manager Terry Ryan indicated to Sid Hartman of the Minneapolis Star Tribune that Gardenhire will be back in 2015.
Here’s the exchange between Hartman and Ryan:
What about Gardenhire?
“Same stuff. He is signed for next year, so you don’t have to worry about him.”
He’ll be back?
“Yeah, yeah, I would say he’ll be back,” Ryan said.
Does Ryan think Gardenhire has done a good job this season with a struggling Twins club?
“We can all do better,” Ryan said. “We’re not where we need to be. We can all do a better job. He has to, I have to, as an organization, we all have to. We’re just not playing up to what we’re wishing we were, consequently we’re not playing games that mean much in September.”
Ryan is the same GM who kept Kelly around and the Twins are known for their incredible loyalty, for better or worse, so it certainly shouldn’t shock anyone in Minnesota if Gardenhire sticks around.
Still, if the Twins retain two managers following four consecutive 90-loss seasons and the other 29 teams have done the same a combined zero times in 50-plus years … well, plenty of Twins fans won’t be very happy and it’ll be hard to blame them.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 7
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 87
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)