Aug 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Gomes was hit in the helmet with a foul tip on Thursday. He told the media he is already feeling better, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to head injuries. The 27-year-old has 17 home runs, 53 RBI, and a .284/.324/.477 slash line in 411 plate appearances this season.
The Rangers designated Gimenez for assignment on August 7. In 118 plate appearances for the Rangers, he slashed .262/.331/.355 with 11 RBI. Gimenez will be added to the Indians’ big league roster and will stay there until Gomes is ready to return.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 1
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 11
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)