Aug 23, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
Phillies third base prospect Maikel Franco hit for the cycle in his first four at-bats in tonight’s home game against the Syracuse Chiefs. Franco doubled in the first inning, tripled in the third, singled in the fourth, and hit a solo home run to center field to complete the cycle.
Franco, 21, was a consensus top-100 prospect entering the 2014 season and represented the Phillies at the 2014 Futures Game at Target Field in Minnesota in July. He struggled to begin the season, but has hit well since the start of July. In his last 190 plate appearances, Franco has hit eight home runs, knocked in 37 runs, and posted a .306/.323/.572 slash line.
The Phillies are likely to bring Franco up at some point in September after rosters expand. He’ll compete with Cody Asche for the starting job at third base in March.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 13
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 46
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)