Aug 23, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Phillies third base prospect Maikel Franco hit for the cycle in his first four at-bats in tonight’s home game against the Syracuse Chiefs. Franco doubled in the first inning, tripled in the third, singled in the fourth, and hit a solo home run to center field to complete the cycle.
Franco, 21, was a consensus top-100 prospect entering the 2014 season and represented the Phillies at the 2014 Futures Game at Target Field in Minnesota in July. He struggled to begin the season, but has hit well since the start of July. In his last 190 plate appearances, Franco has hit eight home runs, knocked in 37 runs, and posted a .306/.323/.572 slash line.
The Phillies are likely to bring Franco up at some point in September after rosters expand. He’ll compete with Cody Asche for the starting job at third base in March.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)