Aug 23, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Mets have placed starter Bartolo Colon on revocable waivers. The right-hander is under contract for the 2015 season, making $11 million, something any interested team will have to take into consideration.
Rosenthal takes care to mention the Angels, who have baseball’s best record. They would be interested in acquiring Colon, having lost Garrett Richards to a season-ending knee injury, but 28 other teams would have to pass before the Angels would get a chance to put in a claim.
Colon, 41, is 11-10 with a 3.85 ERA and a 125/21 K/BB ratio in 161 1/3 innings across 24 starts this season.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)