Aug 23, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Dennis Lin of U-T San Diego reports that the Padres have activated starter Andrew Cashner from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Frank Garces to Double-A San Antonio. Cashner is slated to oppose Vidal Nuno in Saturday night’s match-up against the Diamondbacks.
Cashner had been on the disabled list since August 19 due to inflammation in his right shoulder. He made three rehab starts: one with Single-A Lake Elsinore and two with Triple-A El Paso. Prior to going on the disabled list, Cashner had emerged as one of the better starters in the National League, posting a 2.36 ERA with a 59/22 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings across 12 starts.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 260
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 29
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (259)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)