Aug 23, 2014, 5:10 PM EST
Dennis Lin of U-T San Diego reports that the Padres have activated starter Andrew Cashner from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Frank Garces to Double-A San Antonio. Cashner is slated to oppose Vidal Nuno in Saturday night’s match-up against the Diamondbacks.
Cashner had been on the disabled list since August 19 due to inflammation in his right shoulder. He made three rehab starts: one with Single-A Lake Elsinore and two with Triple-A El Paso. Prior to going on the disabled list, Cashner had emerged as one of the better starters in the National League, posting a 2.36 ERA with a 59/22 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings across 12 starts.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (215)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)