Aug 23, 2014, 5:10 PM EST
Dennis Lin of U-T San Diego reports that the Padres have activated starter Andrew Cashner from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Frank Garces to Double-A San Antonio. Cashner is slated to oppose Vidal Nuno in Saturday night’s match-up against the Diamondbacks.
Cashner had been on the disabled list since August 19 due to inflammation in his right shoulder. He made three rehab starts: one with Single-A Lake Elsinore and two with Triple-A El Paso. Prior to going on the disabled list, Cashner had emerged as one of the better starters in the National League, posting a 2.36 ERA with a 59/22 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings across 12 starts.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)