Aug 23, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Dennis Lin of U-T San Diego reports that the Padres have activated starter Andrew Cashner from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Frank Garces to Double-A San Antonio. Cashner is slated to oppose Vidal Nuno in Saturday night’s match-up against the Diamondbacks.
Cashner had been on the disabled list since August 19 due to inflammation in his right shoulder. He made three rehab starts: one with Single-A Lake Elsinore and two with Triple-A El Paso. Prior to going on the disabled list, Cashner had emerged as one of the better starters in the National League, posting a 2.36 ERA with a 59/22 K/BB ratio in 76 1/3 innings across 12 starts.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20