Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Aug 23, 2014, 8:56 AM EST

Sean Doolittle AP AP

Things got a little hairy at the end, but the Athletics defeated the Angels 5-3 last night at O.Co Coliseum in Oakland and now sit one game back in the American League West.

Sonny Gray had a chance to go the distance, but issued a one-out walk in the ninth before being pulled. He ended up allowing three runs over 8 1/3 innings of work, improving to 13-7 on the year. The game was actually tied through five innings before the A’s got two runs in the sixth on an RBI triple from Sam Fuld and a sacrifice fly from Andy Parrino. Stephen Vogt added a solo homer in the eighth for insurance. They almost needed every bit of it.

Sean Doolittle replaced Gray in the ninth before striking out Howie Kendrick, but then gave up back-to-back singles to Erick Aybar and David Freese to bring in a run. He then walked pinch-hitter Collin Cowgill to load the bases, but managed to strike out Chris Iannetta swinging to end the ballgame. No sweat.

The series will resume tonight with Jon Lester on the hill for Oakland and C.J. Wilson pitching for first-place Los Angeles. We could have a tie this time tomorrow morning.

Your Friday box scores:

Angels 3, Athletics 5

Orioles 1, Cubs 4

Astros 5, Indians 1

Giants 10, Nationals 3

White Sox 3, Yankees 4

Cardinals 4, Phillies 5

Rays 8, Blue Jays 0

Braves 3, Reds 1 (12 innings)

Mariners 5, Red Sox 3

Royals 6, Rangers 3

Marlins 13, Rockies 5

Pirates 8, Brewers 3

Royals 6, Rangers 3

Tigers 6, Twins 20

Padres 1, Diamondbacks 5

Mets 2, Dodgers 6

1. hcf95688 - Aug 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

The end of the A’s game may have taken a couple years off my life

• Old Gator - Aug 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM

You should probably make advance arrangements to store a few of your years cryogenically. That way, by the time the season’s over, you’ll be able to thaw them in the microwave and put them back. And your friends won’t be whispering behind you that you seem to have contracted progeria. I keep wondering if my pal APBA Guy hasn’t at least stashed a few of his in the fridge.

• APBA Guy - Aug 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I’m speaking to you from the depths of my ice fortress where I retreated before the end of this baseball season. In truth, I ran down into the bunker after seeing Gray throw a mushball at Trout’s ankles, which Trout promptly 4-ironed over the left-center filed wall. I’ve seen him do that about 4 times this year, and I’m amazed anybody still pitches him there. He can absolutely clobber that pitch.

But thank goodness the A’s traditional formula worked last night:

– run up the starter’s pitch count.
        – hammer the mid-game relief
        – hold the opponent with your “A” relief

On that last point, Doolittle certainly had my nerves in disarray, as I was forced to turn away again and again to be reassured by my neighbor in the ice fortress, Mr. Ted Williams’ Head, who kept telling me that the Angels could not catch up to Doolittle’s fastball.

Nine more games against the Angels this year. Thank god the Paso Robles wine harvest was early this year.

• jeffbbf - Aug 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Doolittle walked a guy?

2. Old Gator - Aug 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM

The Rocky Mountain Oysters must have thought it was Scrooge McLoria’s birthday yesterday. I’m sure there have been worse sustained pitching performances by a team staff infection, but in my own young life I haven’t had the time to watch one yet. Thirteen runs, all earned, sixteen hits (and this to a team in a protracted scoring drought), nine walks, one HPB (and Reed Johnson probably feels honored that he was singled out to be the only one).

The Iron Giant went 3 for 4 with two walks and is now slashing a canecutter-like 405/.565/.970 (which reminds me that his single red compression sleeve resembles the aluminum sleeves canecutters wear to keep from chopping orf their own arms), but Marcell Ozuna, the league’s best cleanup hitter not batting cleanup, got the big hurt with a ninth inning slam that gave him 70 RBI on a season of batting sixth or seventh most of the time – when is Redmond going to pull his head out of his vent and move him ahead of, at least, Garrett Jones? I weary of pointing out that Casey McGehee, as good as he’s been until the last couple of weeks (he showed signs of breaking out of his funk last night but if you can’t break out of a funk in Denver you should probably resign yourself to your funk permanently), has less power than the Andorran air force. How about a cleanup hitter who cleans up, Mike? There’s a reason they don’t call them tidying up hitters, yes?

Henderson Alvarez wins his tenth on a night when his peetches didn’t interact well with the theen air,. This season has been but an inklings of what is to come from this kid. Tonight, Tom Koehler goes up against the molecular deprivations of the Denver atmosphere. And I’m still waiting to see what happens if the Iron Giant really ties into one up there. And I’m also wondering, if he does win the MVP, whether the sugar growers up by the lake will order their canecutters to paint their slash guards orange.

3. bigmeechy74 - Aug 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM

The Yankees run differential for the season is -39. Which is almost as bad as the Cubs. But somehow the yanks are still in the playoff race. nah they aren’t cheesy and lucky at all

4. happytwinsfan - Aug 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM

The Twins lose 3 of 4 to the Royals, 2 of 3 to the Indians, and explode on the Tigers. What the Twins did to the Tiger bullpen reminds me of the surgery description I was kindly given by a nursing attendant on the eve of my heart bypass; “they cut you open like a chicken and put your sternum on a table while they dig around”. The Tiger bullpen’s recuperation begins today with a double header.

Tiger fans, I am so sorry.

• historiophiliac - Aug 23, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Don’t apologize for winning. Good gravy, we need our starters back. That was ugly…and would’ve been slightly worse if it hadn’t been for the Twins fan who robbed y’all of an out. I bet he gets some crap for awhile (on top of the booing last night). No offense, I hope it goes better for me today. :)

5. cmp78 - Aug 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM

So the Mariners were down to their final strike three different times in the ninth inning. The outcomes of those ABs were- Endy Chavez 10-pitch walk, Austin Jackson 2-RBI double, Dustin Ackley 2-RBI single. And then Daniel Nava non-chalanted Cano’s hit to right and Ackley scored all the way from first. Five runs scored with two outs in the ninth inning. Incredible night.

6. bigmeechy74 - Aug 23, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Prado-McCarthy-Shane Greene are the 3 best players in all of baseball. Not fair that one team has them all

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester