Aug 23, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
Things got a little hairy at the end, but the Athletics defeated the Angels 5-3 last night at O.Co Coliseum in Oakland and now sit one game back in the American League West.
Sonny Gray had a chance to go the distance, but issued a one-out walk in the ninth before being pulled. He ended up allowing three runs over 8 1/3 innings of work, improving to 13-7 on the year. The game was actually tied through five innings before the A’s got two runs in the sixth on an RBI triple from Sam Fuld and a sacrifice fly from Andy Parrino. Stephen Vogt added a solo homer in the eighth for insurance. They almost needed every bit of it.
Sean Doolittle replaced Gray in the ninth before striking out Howie Kendrick, but then gave up back-to-back singles to Erick Aybar and David Freese to bring in a run. He then walked pinch-hitter Collin Cowgill to load the bases, but managed to strike out Chris Iannetta swinging to end the ballgame. No sweat.
Your Friday box scores:
Braves 3, Reds 1 (12 innings)
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)