Aug 23, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
The Twins battered Tigers pitching in a 20-run outburst on Friday night, but that wasn’t enough. Behind a five-RBI day from Kennys Vargas, the Twins scored 12 more times in another easy win over the Tigers this afternoon. For those counting at home, that’s 32 runs on 34 hits and 15 walks in two days. That’s a good week for a lot of teams.
Neither Tigers starting pitcher was able to record more than four outs. On Friday night, Robbie Ray allowed six runs on six hits in 1 1/3 innings. On Saturday afternoon, Buck Farmer allowed seven runs on five hits and two walks in 1 1/3 innings.
With today’s loss, the Tigers fall to 68-59, three games behind the AL Central-leading Royals, who play the Rangers tonight.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (121)