Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts is not in Saturday’s lineup against the Mariners, but he is feeling fine after being hit in the head by a Felix Hernandez pitch in the fifth inning of Friday night’s loss, per ESPN Boston’s Joe McDonald. Bogaerts initially stayed in the game, but admitted to losing focus in the field and he was pinch-hit for by Brock Holt in the bottom of the sixth.
Holt is playing shortstop in Bogaert’s stead, leading off. Bogaerts says he was given concussion tests and although he doesn’t know the results, he feels fine.
The 21-year-old rookie has had a tough season, slashing .223/.293/.333 with eight home runs and 30 RBI.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)