Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts is not in Saturday’s lineup against the Mariners, but he is feeling fine after being hit in the head by a Felix Hernandez pitch in the fifth inning of Friday night’s loss, per ESPN Boston’s Joe McDonald. Bogaerts initially stayed in the game, but admitted to losing focus in the field and he was pinch-hit for by Brock Holt in the bottom of the sixth.
Holt is playing shortstop in Bogaert’s stead, leading off. Bogaerts says he was given concussion tests and although he doesn’t know the results, he feels fine.
The 21-year-old rookie has had a tough season, slashing .223/.293/.333 with eight home runs and 30 RBI.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)