Aug 23, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts is not in Saturday’s lineup against the Mariners, but he is feeling fine after being hit in the head by a Felix Hernandez pitch in the fifth inning of Friday night’s loss, per ESPN Boston’s Joe McDonald. Bogaerts initially stayed in the game, but admitted to losing focus in the field and he was pinch-hit for by Brock Holt in the bottom of the sixth.
Holt is playing shortstop in Bogaert’s stead, leading off. Bogaerts says he was given concussion tests and although he doesn’t know the results, he feels fine.
The 21-year-old rookie has had a tough season, slashing .223/.293/.333 with eight home runs and 30 RBI.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)