Aug 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Oakland is already carrying three catchers in Derek Norris, John Jaso, and Stephen Vogt, but Vogt has been battling a right foot injury and Jaso tends to see a lot of action at designated hitter. Soto is a better defender at catcher than any of those guys.
Kyle Blanks (foot) was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to open up a 40-man roster spot for Soto, who will meet up with the Athletics on Monday in Houston.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)