Aug 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Oakland is already carrying three catchers in Derek Norris, John Jaso, and Stephen Vogt, but Vogt has been battling a right foot injury and Jaso tends to see a lot of action at designated hitter. Soto is a better defender at catcher than any of those guys.
Kyle Blanks (foot) was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to open up a 40-man roster spot for Soto, who will meet up with the Athletics on Monday in Houston.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)