Aug 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Oakland is already carrying three catchers in Derek Norris, John Jaso, and Stephen Vogt, but Vogt has been battling a right foot injury and Jaso tends to see a lot of action at designated hitter. Soto is a better defender at catcher than any of those guys.
Kyle Blanks (foot) was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to open up a 40-man roster spot for Soto, who will meet up with the Athletics on Monday in Houston.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)