Aug 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EST
Oakland is already carrying three catchers in Derek Norris, John Jaso, and Stephen Vogt, but Vogt has been battling a right foot injury and Jaso tends to see a lot of action at designated hitter. Soto is a better defender at catcher than any of those guys.
Kyle Blanks (foot) was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to open up a 40-man roster spot for Soto, who will meet up with the Athletics on Monday in Houston.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)