Aug 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that Athletics closer Sean Doolittle has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained intercostal muscle. Doolittle apparently suffered the injury on his second-to-last pitch against the Angels on Saturday night. The Athletics have recalled Dan Otero from Triple-A Sacramento.
Doolittle, in the first year of a five-year, $10.5 million contract extension signed back in April, has had a great season. He has saved 20 games with a 2.28 ERA and an 80/5 K/BB ratio over 55 1/3 innings.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Eric O’Flaherty will likely serve as the club’s closer while Doolittle is out.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)