Aug 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez reports that Athletics closer Sean Doolittle has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained intercostal muscle. Doolittle apparently suffered the injury on his second-to-last pitch against the Angels on Saturday night. The Athletics have recalled Dan Otero from Triple-A Sacramento.
Doolittle, in the first year of a five-year, $10.5 million contract extension signed back in April, has had a great season. He has saved 20 games with a 2.28 ERA and an 80/5 K/BB ratio over 55 1/3 innings.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Eric O’Flaherty will likely serve as the club’s closer while Doolittle is out.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)