Aug 24, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
From beat writer John Lott of the National Post in Canada …
#BlueJays option Kyle Drabek to make room for Sergio Santos.
— John Lott (@LottOnBaseball) August 24, 2014
Santos was designated for assignment by the Jays on July 21 after posting a brutal 7.78 ERA in 24 relief appearances, but the 31-year-old right-hander passed through waivers unclaimed and was then sent outright to Triple-A Buffalo, where he rattled off 11 scoreless relief appearances to earn his way back up.
Santos was excellent in a setup role last season, finishing with a 1.75 ERA in 29 appearances.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 112
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (114)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)