Aug 24, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
From beat writer John Lott of the National Post in Canada …
#BlueJays option Kyle Drabek to make room for Sergio Santos.
— John Lott (@LottOnBaseball) August 24, 2014
Santos was designated for assignment by the Jays on July 21 after posting a brutal 7.78 ERA in 24 relief appearances, but the 31-year-old right-hander passed through waivers unclaimed and was then sent outright to Triple-A Buffalo, where he rattled off 11 scoreless relief appearances to earn his way back up.
Santos was excellent in a setup role last season, finishing with a 1.75 ERA in 29 appearances.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)