Aug 24, 2014, 11:43 AM EST
From beat writer John Lott of the National Post in Canada …
#BlueJays option Kyle Drabek to make room for Sergio Santos.
— John Lott (@LottOnBaseball) August 24, 2014
Santos was designated for assignment by the Jays on July 21 after posting a brutal 7.78 ERA in 24 relief appearances, but the 31-year-old right-hander passed through waivers unclaimed and was then sent outright to Triple-A Buffalo, where he rattled off 11 scoreless relief appearances to earn his way back up.
Santos was excellent in a setup role last season, finishing with a 1.75 ERA in 29 appearances.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 44
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)