David Buchanan, Domonic Brown question the tactics of Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg

Aug 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT

ryne sandberg getty Getty Images

It’s a pretty common thing for starting pitchers to disapprove when they’re removed somewhat early from games, but these comments from Phillies right-hander David Buchanan feel especially pointed …

“It caught me off-guard honestly,” Buchanan told Marc Narducci of the Philadelphia Inquirer after being lifted before the sixth inning of Saturday’s loss to the Cardinals. “I didn’t expect that and wasn’t too happy about that. I just do what I am told and go for as long as I can and unfortunately that was only five innings tonight but it definitely caught me off guard.”

Buchanan was only at 90 pitches when manager Ryne Sandberg pulled him, but he had allowed eight hits and two walks. The Phillies wound up having to use seven relievers in the 12-inning loss and will be short on rested arms for Sunday’s series finale with St. Louis.

Phillies outfielder Domonic Brown also voiced his displeasure with a recent lack of playing time after being double-switched with Grady Sizemore in the seventh inning Saturday. Brown has started just 24 games since the beginning of July. “I am not out there every day so it’s kind of tough coming off the bench,” he said.

It’s much easier for a team to get along when it’s playing winning baseball. The Phillies are 57-72.

1. sportsfan18 - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Uh Dominic…

You’re batting .225 this season… and you think you should be out there everyday?

Uh Dominic,

You’re OPS+ is a woeful 72 this season… and you think you should be out there everyday?

In 4 out of your 5 MLB seasons, your OPS+ has been below 100… only ONE season above. 1 out of 5 isn’t good Dominic…

Uh Dominic,

You’re on base percentage is an incredibly low .278% this season… and you think you should be out there everyday?

• geejon - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Some of these guys are either delusional, stupid, or I don’t know what. Reminds me of just a month or two ago when Matt Kemp was kicking up a storm because Mattingly moved him from CF. Every defensive metric around (and everyone’s eyes) was showing he was an absolutely HORRIBLE center fielder and his “defense” was costing his team every single game …. yet he insisted he should stay there and bitched and moped to anyone who would listen.

• renaado - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

The way Domonic Brown is performin this season? Clearly, he should be sent down months ago…

• zengreaser - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I get where you’re coming from – Dom really is having a bad season. But the Phillies are going into rebuild mode & it makes absolutely no sense to play Sizemore over a 26 year old who has shown flashes of potential in the recent past. The Phils should be letting Dom work through this problem instead of giving playing time to a guy who isn’t a realistic part of the future.

• fissels - Aug 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I don’t think Domonic is part of the rebuilding plan either. He’s proven to be undependable

• jeffbbf - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM

… and he turns 27 next week.

• ud1951 - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:14 AM

But if I’m out there everyday, I can get into a rhythm and maybe get my OPS+ up to 75….. I don’t care if my team wins, so long as I get to play…. yours truly, Dom

• recoveringcubsfan - Aug 24, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Ah, the one thing Phillies fans and Amaro agree on: jerking Domonic Brown around by having him in the majors but not playing him. It has turned out super well, Phillies! I hope you treat all your prospects this way. Or, keep trading them for pitchers like Cliff Lee, then fail to build an actual team around them.

Really, though: anyone who thinks this is about Dom Brown is probably a Phillies can looking to spew some anger at someone other than the guy actually at fault: RAJ.

• bleedgreen - Aug 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM

There are Phillies fans that DON’T blame RAJ for the state of this team? Dom Brown was ruined years ago. Darrin Ruf is going through it now. A guy that absolutely RAKED in the minors, and gets brought up and down up and down and never gets a chance to build chemistry or get MLB at bats.

Now, Dom Brown is a jackwagon and needs to keep his mouth shut. And so does David Buchannon. Remember, Dave, you’re only up here now because Lee is shut down. You’ve pitched well, and likely should have stayed up in the bigs and Fausto Carmona or Kyle Kendrick sent to the pen or packing totally, but thats neither here nor there. Talking smack and complaining is no way to keep your big league job.

2. hep3 - Aug 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Somebody needs to post a calendar in the Phillies clubhouse. Poor Dominic thinks this is still 2013 and Ryan Howard thinks it is 2011.

3. jre80 - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Sandberg has more knowledge of baseball in the tip of his pinky finger than these 2 jerk wads. Grab u some Kleenex boys

4. schmedley69 - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Dom Brown is the poster child for the Ruben Amaro era Phillies. Can’t hit, can’t field, doesn’t hustle and says and does a lot of stupid things to alienate the fans. The Phillies need to clean house after the season, and getting rid of Dom Brown would be a good place to start.

5. eutawmike - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM

he would be better if he played more,the manager
    would use him more if he played better.so there ya
    go.

6. nyking1963 - Aug 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM

You’re pitching to a 4+ ERA…you’ve allowed 10 base runners during these 5 brutal innings…you’re a below .500 pitcher.
    It seems to me you should be thrilled that they allow you to fly city to city..you should be riding the buses where other “not ready for show” guys are playing in triple A.
    Gives meaning to the old saying..rookies should be seen and not heard.

7. stupidusername - Aug 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I don’t know, Dom, maybe that incredibly awful play you made in the 6th had something to do with it??

Or maybe just that a double switch in a close game with a below average batter and fielder is very common in the NL?

• bleedgreen - Aug 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Should have caught it. He just stood there and watched it drop in.

8. chicagocane - Aug 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM

huge cubs fan.here…but baseball knowledge just ain’t enough. I love Ryno but he’s just in over his head as a manager. He would fail even with a good team, let alone the Phils or Cubs right now.

• derklempner - Aug 24, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I disagree. Sandberg was a good manager in the minors with a good AAA ballclub. So far, he’s dealt with nothing more than underachieving prima donnas who question every move their skipper makes.

Maybe the players should just quit complaining, play better, and pay better attention to the game as it’s being played. Sandberg can’t be held responsible for poor defense or poor production at the plate. At some point in time, these players have to be held accountable for their performance.

9. coryfor3 - Aug 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Maybe Brown needs to think about why he’s not playing. And I guess if it’s so hard to come off the bench, those guys should get the 9 figure contracts.

10. pat199192 - Aug 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Recoverincubsfan, believe me, most phillies fans know the biggest problem is RAJ. These are comments about an article about 2 specific players. And every comment makes complete sense

11. zdravit - Aug 24, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Sizemore should be playing every day. How is Brown whining?

12. bleedgreen - Aug 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM

How guys like Mayberry, Brown or Kendrick are even on a major league roster is beyond me. They’re all terrible. Dom, you’re batting .004 above Ryan Howard. As in… not good at all. You had your chance to play every day and have had a single good month in your entire 5 year major league career. I get it that you were jerked around. I get it that you weren’t really given a fair shake, but at this point, you’re just not good enough to be playing every day.

13. lukedunphysscienceproject - Aug 24, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Maybe if Brown fought more, he could play. Like Ned Braden.

google it.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3378)