Aug 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
It’s a pretty common thing for starting pitchers to disapprove when they’re removed somewhat early from games, but these comments from Phillies right-hander David Buchanan feel especially pointed …
“It caught me off-guard honestly,” Buchanan told Marc Narducci of the Philadelphia Inquirer after being lifted before the sixth inning of Saturday’s loss to the Cardinals. “I didn’t expect that and wasn’t too happy about that. I just do what I am told and go for as long as I can and unfortunately that was only five innings tonight but it definitely caught me off guard.”
Buchanan was only at 90 pitches when manager Ryne Sandberg pulled him, but he had allowed eight hits and two walks. The Phillies wound up having to use seven relievers in the 12-inning loss and will be short on rested arms for Sunday’s series finale with St. Louis.
Phillies outfielder Domonic Brown also voiced his displeasure with a recent lack of playing time after being double-switched with Grady Sizemore in the seventh inning Saturday. Brown has started just 24 games since the beginning of July. “I am not out there every day so it’s kind of tough coming off the bench,” he said.
It’s much easier for a team to get along when it’s playing winning baseball. The Phillies are 57-72.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 0
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)