Ruben Amaro is still shocked no one wants Jonathan Papelbon

Aug 24, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT

Jonathan Papelbon Getty Images

The Phillies had a surfeit of expendable players that were perfect for other teams, but the club stood pat as the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline passed. GM Ruben Amaro said other GM’s were overvaluing prospects, and that his demands for his own players were reasonable.

With the August 31 waiver deadline just a week away, Amaro is still shocked he hasn’t been able to arrive at a deal, particularly for closer Jonathan Papelbon. Papelbon has been among the game’s best closers this season, sporting a 1.49 ERA with 31 saves, but he is owed $13 million 2015 and is likely to have his $13 million option for 2016 vest as well. That’s why Papelbon passed through waivers. Well, that and his still-declining velocity and a strikeout rate near a career-low. And also, he’s 33 years old. And also, Papelbon has said he only wants to close if he is moved anywhere else. And also, he said he wants to play for a winner.

Via Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Amaro also defended the closer’s abrasive personality and blunt comments, saying, “He gets ticked because we’re not winning. I don’t blame him.”

Looks like the Phillies might be stuck with Papelbon for a while, but they’ll try to find a taker in the off-season. Amaro has said he’s willing to include cash in a trade to move Papelbon elsewhere.

1. kevinbnyc - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Maybe nobody wants him because of that awful contract you gave him? Just a thought.

• liamj55 - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I guess you missed this part – Amaro has said he’s willing to include cash in a trade to move Papelbon elsewhere. (LAST SENTENCE).

• Jack Glasscock's Cup - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Based on the fact that nobody wants him even though RAJ is willing to include money, he’s probably not willing to include money. I don’t know if the Phillies can pre-pay for the 2016 vesting option, but, if not, that sucker has real value and is probably scaring teams off.

• kevinbnyc - Aug 25, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Or it’s not enough money. Because it would have to be a TON of money. Because the contract was terrible.

2. whmiv21 - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:27 PM

It has nothing to do with his ability, Ruben. It has everything to do with your stupidity.

3. luvusa1 - Aug 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Rube the Boob strikes again

4. longfootlefty - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Better to overvalue prospects than to overvalue 30+ year olds with declining skill-sets.

5. pisano - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Hey Rube, you made your bed, now lay in it, for the rest of that stupid contract.

6. sabatimus - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Um, yeah, 2-year albatross. Any idiot could see that, Ruben, but you’re not just any idiot are you?

7. prostock75 - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:54 AM

He should want to only close if moved, he is still really good. Yes, his velocity is not what he was but unlike a lot of hard throwers, the guy really knows how to pitch. It keeps being inferred that he is somehow getting lucky because he is not throwing 98 anymore. I don’t disagree that he can be an idiot and I understand why he hasn’t been traded but the cheapshots that are consistently leveled at him like the writer does above are not fair at all.

8. prostock75 - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Also, his wanting to play for a winner has zero to do with him not being traded. Only a winner would even think about making a move anyway, it is not like the Astros want him. So of course he would only want to go to a team in contention, why is that bad? I am not even sure I understand Baer’s point about the winning thing.

PS I can’t believe I am defending Paps

• recoveringcubsfan - Aug 25, 2014 at 9:00 AM

But those 2 conditions, taken together, are almost totally self-defeating. Name a winning team (I think he means playoff team) that *does not have a closer*. I mean, use your brain, Papelbon.

A playoff team would probably take him if he were willing to pitch the 7th or 8th. Then, next year he might even be the closer, depending on the situation during the offseason. But man, he’s making it pretty tough for the Phillies to do anything with him (which delights me because all the bad Amaro contracts make me happy).

9. culturecesspool - Aug 25, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Rube Baker is smarter than Amaro

• thesportsguru7 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Hey. Ya know Ricky, breaking up with a girlfriend can be a very painful thing. But it don’t have to keep ya down for long. I mean, let me tell ya something from my own personal experience. I’ve never had a regular girlfriend like you, but I did get kicked in the balls once by a mule. Now, I thought I would be hurting for the rest of my life. But you know what happened the very next week?…

My momma died. Hell, after that, I didn’t care no more about my balls hurtin’. You see what I’m gettin’ at?

10. syphermce - Aug 25, 2014 at 2:30 AM

My guess is, depending on where the Tigers stand when the deadline is up, they might get desperate enough to make a deal.

11. dhakadabay - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:21 AM

Your winnings, sir.

12. thebadguyswon - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:51 AM

I’m flummoxed that Ruben Amaro still has his job.

13. mungman69 - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:17 AM

Some team needs Paplebon. Detroit?

14. twpguy1964 - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Your comment that “Your shocked no one wants Jonathan Papelbon” is laughable. This is what makes you the worst/dumbest GM in pro sports. Go open your laptop, and look under the file you saved named, “My most idiotic contracts given” and you’ll get a reminder why. The moron owners aren’t given a pass on these TERRIBLE contracts because they signed off on them too!

15. philliesblow - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Philly fans are still shocked RAJ is GM, so things seem even.

16. jfk69 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:39 AM

A wrong side of 30 relief pitcher owed 26 million with a list of demands. Good Luck
    Howard in same boat.
    If I was you. I would be looking for a new job. Please fax me your list of demands. All scouting jobs presently full.

17. pete2112 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Besides the money owed to him next season, Paplebon can be a bit of a distraction with his outspoken ways but I am surprised a team like Detroit wouldn’t eat that money for a very good closer and a chance at going further into the playoffs.

18. autmorsautlibertas - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Amaro is simply overestimating the value of his own players. The only guy he has that would cause another team to give up top prospects is Hamels. Howard is done, Rollins is about done, and Utley, Lee, and Byrd are nearing the end of their careers. Amaro does not have anything to barter with.

19. xcflqb7 - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I hope the ownership steps in and deals Amaro and Paperburn to Detroit in exchange for lifetime Dominos Pizza for the season ticket holders having to put up with thus inept talent evaluation

• philliesblow - Aug 25, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Dominos? That’s so 1988. Tigers have been owned by the Little Ceasar’s guy since the early 90’s.

20. Francisco (FC) - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:35 AM

GM Ruben Amaro said other GM’s were overvaluing prospects

Not surprised, after all Ruben has had so few of his own pan out he figures he needs the top 3 of another team just to have a chance of getting 1 above-average major league talent in a trade. Ruben hasn’t considered that maybe the other team farm systems produce better talent.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS