Aug 24, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Phillies had a surfeit of expendable players that were perfect for other teams, but the club stood pat as the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline passed. GM Ruben Amaro said other GM’s were overvaluing prospects, and that his demands for his own players were reasonable.
With the August 31 waiver deadline just a week away, Amaro is still shocked he hasn’t been able to arrive at a deal, particularly for closer Jonathan Papelbon. Papelbon has been among the game’s best closers this season, sporting a 1.49 ERA with 31 saves, but he is owed $13 million 2015 and is likely to have his $13 million option for 2016 vest as well. That’s why Papelbon passed through waivers. Well, that and his still-declining velocity and a strikeout rate near a career-low. And also, he’s 33 years old. And also, Papelbon has said he only wants to close if he is moved anywhere else. And also, he said he wants to play for a winner.
Via Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Amaro also defended the closer’s abrasive personality and blunt comments, saying, “He gets ticked because we’re not winning. I don’t blame him.”
Looks like the Phillies might be stuck with Papelbon for a while, but they’ll try to find a taker in the off-season. Amaro has said he’s willing to include cash in a trade to move Papelbon elsewhere.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 45
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 20
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)