Aug 24, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Phillies had a surfeit of expendable players that were perfect for other teams, but the club stood pat as the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline passed. GM Ruben Amaro said other GM’s were overvaluing prospects, and that his demands for his own players were reasonable.
With the August 31 waiver deadline just a week away, Amaro is still shocked he hasn’t been able to arrive at a deal, particularly for closer Jonathan Papelbon. Papelbon has been among the game’s best closers this season, sporting a 1.49 ERA with 31 saves, but he is owed $13 million 2015 and is likely to have his $13 million option for 2016 vest as well. That’s why Papelbon passed through waivers. Well, that and his still-declining velocity and a strikeout rate near a career-low. And also, he’s 33 years old. And also, Papelbon has said he only wants to close if he is moved anywhere else. And also, he said he wants to play for a winner.
Via Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Amaro also defended the closer’s abrasive personality and blunt comments, saying, “He gets ticked because we’re not winning. I don’t blame him.”
Looks like the Phillies might be stuck with Papelbon for a while, but they’ll try to find a taker in the off-season. Amaro has said he’s willing to include cash in a trade to move Papelbon elsewhere.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)