Aug 24, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
The A’s and Angels are all square again at the very top of the American League West standings.
Jon Lester struck out seven Anaheim batters and allowed just one run on five hits over seven innings, and Coco Crisp scored the go-ahead tally on an eighth-inning wild pitch as Oakland took down the visiting Halos 2-1 on Saturday. A’s closer Sean Doolittle closed it out for his 20th save of 2014.
Including Sunday’s series finale — which will pit Scott Kazmir against Jered Weaver on ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball — the two teams meet eight more times this season. Can the Angels survive the loss of Garrett Richards? Do the Athletics have enough offense without Yoenis Cespedes?
It should continue to be an interesting race as August turns to September.
Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …
Rays 4, Blue Jays 5 (10 innings)
Tigers 4, Twins 12 (Game 1)
Cardinals 6, Phillies 5 (12 innings)
Tigers 8, Twins 6 (Game 2)
Marlins 4, Rockies 5 (13 innings)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 4
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 291
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (293)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)