Aug 24, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
The A’s and Angels are all square again at the very top of the American League West standings.
Jon Lester struck out seven Anaheim batters and allowed just one run on five hits over seven innings, and Coco Crisp scored the go-ahead tally on an eighth-inning wild pitch as Oakland took down the visiting Halos 2-1 on Saturday. A’s closer Sean Doolittle closed it out for his 20th save of 2014.
Including Sunday’s series finale — which will pit Scott Kazmir against Jered Weaver on ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball — the two teams meet eight more times this season. Can the Angels survive the loss of Garrett Richards? Do the Athletics have enough offense without Yoenis Cespedes?
It should continue to be an interesting race as August turns to September.
Your box scores and recaps from Saturday …
Rays 4, Blue Jays 5 (10 innings)
Tigers 4, Twins 12 (Game 1)
Cardinals 6, Phillies 5 (12 innings)
Tigers 8, Twins 6 (Game 2)
Marlins 4, Rockies 5 (13 innings)
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)