Aug 25, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
According to Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com, Athletics manager Bob Melvin confirmed this evening that Drew Pomeranz will called up from Triple-A Sacramento to start Wednesday against the Astros. The change lines up Sonny Gray, Jon Lester, Scott Kazmir and Jeff Samardzija to start in a big four-game series against the Angels later this week.
Pomeranz began this season in the A’s bullpen, but moved into the rotation in May and posted an impressive 1.88 ERA over his first seven starts. However, he was rocked for eight runs (seven earned) over 3 2/3 innings on June 16 before punching a chair in frustration and breaking his right hand. He has pitched exclusively in Triple-A since returning to full health, putting up a 3.69 ERA and 54/17 K/BB ratio in 46 1/3 innings over eight starts.
This is just a one-start deal for now, but if Jason Hammel struggles tomorrow and Pomeranz pitches well on Wednesday, one wonders if Melvin could consider a change for September.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)