Aug 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon and Astros right-hander Scott Feldman have cleared revocable waivers. This means that they are now both eligible to be traded to any team.
It’s a little surprising to see Colon clear waivers, but evidently teams were reluctant to claim him because he’s under contract for $11 million in what will be his age-42 season next year. Still, he hasn’t shown any sign of slowing down this season, posting a 3.82 ERA over 25 starts with 130 strikeouts and 22 walks over 167 1/3 innings. He has a 3.35 ERA in seven starts since the All-Star break.
Feldman is owed $18 million from 2015-2016 and has shown diminished velocity this season while posting a mediocre 4.37 ERA with 78 strikeouts over 136 innings, so it’s not as surprising to see him pass through. Remember, the Astros could have just dumped his contract if he was claimed. Still, Feldman has pitched better this month, so perhaps the Astros could find a taker if they pick up some of the tab.
The Angels don’t have much in the way of prospects, but Garrett Richards‘ season-ending knee injury makes them a natural fit for either Colon or Feldman. The Mets and Astros figure to get calls from multiple contenders over the next week.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)