Aug 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon and Astros right-hander Scott Feldman have cleared revocable waivers. This means that they are now both eligible to be traded to any team.
It’s a little surprising to see Colon clear waivers, but evidently teams were reluctant to claim him because he’s under contract for $11 million in what will be his age-42 season next year. Still, he hasn’t shown any sign of slowing down this season, posting a 3.82 ERA over 25 starts with 130 strikeouts and 22 walks over 167 1/3 innings. He has a 3.35 ERA in seven starts since the All-Star break.
Feldman is owed $18 million from 2015-2016 and has shown diminished velocity this season while posting a mediocre 4.37 ERA with 78 strikeouts over 136 innings, so it’s not as surprising to see him pass through. Remember, the Astros could have just dumped his contract if he was claimed. Still, Feldman has pitched better this month, so perhaps the Astros could find a taker if they pick up some of the tab.
The Angels don’t have much in the way of prospects, but Garrett Richards‘ season-ending knee injury makes them a natural fit for either Colon or Feldman. The Mets and Astros figure to get calls from multiple contenders over the next week.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (134)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)