Aug 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon and Astros right-hander Scott Feldman have cleared revocable waivers. This means that they are now both eligible to be traded to any team.
It’s a little surprising to see Colon clear waivers, but evidently teams were reluctant to claim him because he’s under contract for $11 million in what will be his age-42 season next year. Still, he hasn’t shown any sign of slowing down this season, posting a 3.82 ERA over 25 starts with 130 strikeouts and 22 walks over 167 1/3 innings. He has a 3.35 ERA in seven starts since the All-Star break.
Feldman is owed $18 million from 2015-2016 and has shown diminished velocity this season while posting a mediocre 4.37 ERA with 78 strikeouts over 136 innings, so it’s not as surprising to see him pass through. Remember, the Astros could have just dumped his contract if he was claimed. Still, Feldman has pitched better this month, so perhaps the Astros could find a taker if they pick up some of the tab.
The Angels don’t have much in the way of prospects, but Garrett Richards‘ season-ending knee injury makes them a natural fit for either Colon or Feldman. The Mets and Astros figure to get calls from multiple contenders over the next week.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 31
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 38
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)