Aug 25, 2014, 6:44 PM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon and Astros right-hander Scott Feldman have cleared revocable waivers. This means that they are now both eligible to be traded to any team.
It’s a little surprising to see Colon clear waivers, but evidently teams were reluctant to claim him because he’s under contract for $11 million in what will be his age-42 season next year. Still, he hasn’t shown any sign of slowing down this season, posting a 3.82 ERA over 25 starts with 130 strikeouts and 22 walks over 167 1/3 innings. He has a 3.35 ERA in seven starts since the All-Star break.
Feldman is owed $18 million from 2015-2016 and has shown diminished velocity this season while posting a mediocre 4.37 ERA with 78 strikeouts over 136 innings, so it’s not as surprising to see him pass through. Remember, the Astros could have just dumped his contract if he was claimed. Still, Feldman has pitched better this month, so perhaps the Astros could find a taker if they pick up some of the tab.
The Angels don’t have much in the way of prospects, but Garrett Richards‘ season-ending knee injury makes them a natural fit for either Colon or Feldman. The Mets and Astros figure to get calls from multiple contenders over the next week.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)