Aug 25, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
Eric Hosmer has been sidelined for nearly a month with a stress fracture in his right hand, but Royals manager Ned Yost told Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star today that he has improved enough to where “he can swing but not hit.”
Hosmer stood in the batter’s box today and tracked pitches from left-handed reliever Scott Downs, who is currently making his way back from a neck sprain. The 24-year-old will continue to swing without contact until Thursday, when he’s expected to hit off a tee and take some soft toss. Yost envisions him going out on a minor league rehab assignment if Triple-A Omaha makes the playoffs, where he’d get potentially 15-20 at-bats before rejoining the Royals.
Billy Butler has functioned as the regular first baseman in Hosmer’s absence and the recently-acquired Josh Willingham has thrived as the regular designated hitter, but Hosmer’s return would provide more flexibility for Kansas City’s lineup.
Hosmer was batting .267 with six home runs and a .689 OPS over 104 games prior to the injury.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)