Aug 25, 2014, 9:28 AM EST
The Athletics have placed catcher John Jaso on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Jaso began experiencing concussion-like symptoms two weeks ago when he took a foul tip hard off his mask. They got even worse this weekend, and he says his symptoms have escalated. This, along with Stephen Vogt‘s bum foot, explains the Geovany Soto trade from yesterday.
This is not Jaso’s first dance with brain injuries. He sat out the final two months of the 2013 regular season and the playoffs due to a severe concussion that he suffered in July of last season when, as here, he was struck in the mask on back-to-back nights with stray foul tips.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)