Aug 25, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Athletics have placed catcher John Jaso on the seven-day concussion disabled list.
Jaso began experiencing concussion-like symptoms two weeks ago when he took a foul tip hard off his mask. They got even worse this weekend, and he says his symptoms have escalated. This, along with Stephen Vogt‘s bum foot, explains the Geovany Soto trade from yesterday.
This is not Jaso’s first dance with brain injuries. He sat out the final two months of the 2013 regular season and the playoffs due to a severe concussion that he suffered in July of last season when, as here, he was struck in the mask on back-to-back nights with stray foul tips.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)