Aug 25, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
So far at least a change of scenery hasn’t done Justin Masterson any good. He had a 5.51 ERA in 19 starts for the Indians and now he has a 7.43 ERA in five starts for the Cardinals.
Masterson failed to make it out of the fourth inning Sunday against the Phillies, allowing five runs while recording nine outs, and Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that “the staff will have to reconsider his spot in the rotation” if his next scheduled start Saturday goes poorly as well.
St. Louis added both Masterson and John Lackey at the trade deadline and the two veteran starters have combined to post a 6.38 ERA in 48 innings. Lackey is signed through 2015, but Masterson is an impending free agent whose likely market value has plummeted.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)