Aug 25, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
So far at least a change of scenery hasn’t done Justin Masterson any good. He had a 5.51 ERA in 19 starts for the Indians and now he has a 7.43 ERA in five starts for the Cardinals.
Masterson failed to make it out of the fourth inning Sunday against the Phillies, allowing five runs while recording nine outs, and Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that “the staff will have to reconsider his spot in the rotation” if his next scheduled start Saturday goes poorly as well.
St. Louis added both Masterson and John Lackey at the trade deadline and the two veteran starters have combined to post a 6.38 ERA in 48 innings. Lackey is signed through 2015, but Masterson is an impending free agent whose likely market value has plummeted.
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 0
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 50
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 136
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 9
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 13
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 3
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (136)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)