Aug 25, 2014, 3:15 PM EST
So far at least a change of scenery hasn’t done Justin Masterson any good. He had a 5.51 ERA in 19 starts for the Indians and now he has a 7.43 ERA in five starts for the Cardinals.
Masterson failed to make it out of the fourth inning Sunday against the Phillies, allowing five runs while recording nine outs, and Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch writes that “the staff will have to reconsider his spot in the rotation” if his next scheduled start Saturday goes poorly as well.
St. Louis added both Masterson and John Lackey at the trade deadline and the two veteran starters have combined to post a 6.38 ERA in 48 innings. Lackey is signed through 2015, but Masterson is an impending free agent whose likely market value has plummeted.
- Report: Cuban free agent infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 0
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 9
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (138)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)