Aug 25, 2014, 9:09 AM EST
At the beginning of the year (and for much of last year) the Mets hemmed and hawed over first base. They seemed to want Ike Davis to fulfill the promise he showed a couple of seasons ago, but Lucas Duda had flashed some nice power potential here and there over the past couple of years too, so at least they had options. Eventually they decided it just wasn’t happening for Davis so they bit the bullet and shipped him to Pittsburgh, going all-in with Duda.
Duda went 3 for 5 with two home runs and five RBI against the Dodgers yesterday, continuing his breakout season. He’s 8 for his last 23 with five home runs, 11 RBI and seven runs scored. For the year he has 26 homes and a nifty line of .260/.355/.507. He’s among the league leaders in most power categories.
Duda is a year older than Davis, so it’s not as if they just stumbled on a future Hall of Famer here, but he’s definitely the sort of power bat that could very well fit with a contending team, and that’s something the Mets haven’t had for a good while.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)