Aug 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Gregory Polanco got off to a great start after the Pirates called him up in mid-June, but the 22-year-old top prospect has been slumping for the past two months and recently manager Clint Hurdle has decided to play Travis Snider over him in right field.
And now the Pirates have demoted Polanco back to Triple-A, where hit .347 in 62 games prior to being called up.
From a performance standpoint it’s tough to argue with the demotion, as Polanco has hit just .204 with three homers and a .564 OPS in his last 40 games. And if he wasn’t going to play regularly in the majors he might as well play regularly in the minors, but with the minor-league season winding down and September 1 roster expansion right around the corner it seems likely that Polanco will be back in Pittsburgh within a week or two anyway.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 136
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 50
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)