Rangers likely to shut down Yu Darvish for the season

Aug 25, 2014, 5:02 PM EST

Yu Darvish AP AP

No official announcement has been made yet, but during a radio appearance today Rangers general manager Jon Daniels indicated that Yu Darvish is unlikely to pitch again this season because of an elbow injury.

Darvish was placed on the disabled list with elbow inflammation on August 13 and here’s what Daniels said this afternoon (via Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News):

By the calendar and how close to the end of the season we are, I don’t know that it will allow him to pitch again. I think it’s critical going into next year for us to put all these injury issues and concerns behind us as we possibly can. It doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense to me to take a risk when the MRI clearly shows there is something going on in there.

Darvish has taken a surprising amount of criticism–from seemingly uninformed local media members and also from his manager–but why the Rangers would rush him back to throw meaningless September innings for a last-place team is unclear. Daniels at least seems to recognize that, saying:

There is a difference between playing when you are tired or a sore ankle vs a pitcher when he’s got an elbow issue. They are two very different things. That’s why medical staff and people like myself make these decisions. This not an emotional thing about quitting on the team. Yu has an elbow issue that fortunately looks like it won’t have a long-term impact and we’re not going to let it.

Hopefully that will squash any notion of Darvish sitting out with an injury he could pitch through. If he’s done, Darvish will finish his third MLB season with a 3.06 ERA in 22 starts, leading the league in strikeout rate for the second year in a row at 11.3 per nine innings.

1. Conner012367 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Its for the best, i hope he feels better by next season.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Conner, I do too, but I’m quite concerned about how this will hurt the Rangers’ chances of making the playoffs.

• Conner012367 - Aug 25, 2014 at 8:04 PM

it doesn’t because our season for this year is pretty much over and, the playoffs? uh check the standings, we are not going to the playoffs, at least this year.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Conner: Sarcasm detector malfunction; check batteries or contact manufacturer.

2. baberuthslegs - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Sad.

3. puckyou14 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Good. Not worth what the long term elbow problems could be if he kept pitching.

4. beefytrout - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Daniels doesn’t get the respect he deserves from the DFW media or a lot of Rangers fans.

5. slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:56 AM

I don’t know about all the down votes but I agree just from that smarmy statement above.
    To paraphrase; I may only be a GM,but my Phd in sports medicine and my Phd in psychology tells me our most valuable asset for the next 6 years did not quit this playoff bound team because he is nuts nor do I believe his elbow owie is a ankle sprain,any way rest your weary heads as I am in charge.

You are right,that is one HUGE ego.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester