Aug 25, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
Another big piece of the Cubs’ future is on the way to the majors, as David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com reports that top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler will be promoted from Triple-A Iowa tomorrow. The 22-year-old was pulled from tonight’s game after hitting a three-run homer off Mariners prospect right-hander Taijuan Walker, prompting immediate speculation of a call-up.
Listed at 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds, Soler defected from Cuba in 2011 and joined the Cubs in June of 2012 with a nine-year, $30 million contract. The 22-year-old was limited to just 55 games last season due to a fractured tibia, but he has exploded this season by batting .340/.432/.700 with 15 home runs in 62 minor league games between rookie ball, Double-A, and Triple-A.
While many are clamoring for Kris Bryant’s arrival to the big leagues, the timeline for Soler is a bit different since he’s already on the 40-man roster and the Cubs have him locked up for several years. Still, with Javier Baez, Arismendy Alcantara, and now Soler up in the majors, you can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel in Chicago.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)