Aug 25, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
First Yu Darvish, now this. Capping off a disappointing first year with the Rangers, Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that outfielder Shin-Soo Choo is headed for season-ending surgery to remove a bone spur from his left elbow.
There were big expectations when the Rangers signed Choo to a seven-year, $130 million contract over the winter, but he ended up posting career-worsts across the board, with a .242/.340/.374 batting line to go along with 13 home runs and 40 RBI over 123 games. Some of the struggles can be blamed on an early-season ankle injury and Wilson writes that Choo has been dealing with the bone spur since spring training. It’s been that kind of year for the Rangers.
Choo still got on base at a good clip this year and it’s fair to expect better production with improved health, but he turns 33 next July and still has $116 million coming his way through 2020.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 30
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 86
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)