Two Yankees minor leaguers suspended for PEDs

Aug 25, 2014, 5:17 PM EST

Police Blotter

From the police blotter:

New York Yankees Minor League right-handed pitcher Andy Beresford and Minor League first baseman Leonard Thompson have each received a 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine.  Beresford is currently on the roster of the Single-A Charleston RiverDogs of the South Atlantic League, while Thompson is on the roster of the rookie-level Gulf Coast League Yankees.  The suspensions of both players are effective immediately.

So, like, I guess the Bombers will have to look elsewhere for backup plans for Tanaka and Teixeira.

1. mightymike1250 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Capital “S” Capital “Tu” Capital “Pid.”

2. barrywhererufrom - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Who cares? If this was 2018 maybe..but how in the world does this effect this years team I haven’t the foggiest..

3. jfk69 - Aug 25, 2014 at 5:57 PM

In other news possible chance of sun or clouds.

4. jwbiii - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Andy Beresford has a decent ERA but a 5.3 K rate. He’s 24 and was picked 19/584 in 2013.
    Bo Thompson is hitting 182/369/232. He’s 21 and was picked 13/392 last June. He was demoted from the NYPL to the GCL.
    We’re not likely to hear either of these names again.

5. ch0psuey - Aug 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Stay Classy Yankees

• scoochpooch - Aug 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM

as opposed to teams like the Red Sox, Mets, and really all the others who’ve had multiple minor leaguers get caught doing PEDs. Jealous much?

The true story here is that its 2 non-latinos caught doing PEDs, since they account for 90% of all suspensions.

• pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:29 AM

@ch0psuey: Do you wear blinders or something? Do you really think this is just a Yankees thing? It’s weird as the only time people seem to get anti-PED’s is when the Yankees are involved, but if you mention anyone like Bonds, Ortiz, etc., it’s swept under the carpet.

• ch0psuey - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Somebody is angry. And yes I wear Blinders, so be it.

6. slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:41 AM

I am being for cereal here.I have been working some weird shifts lately(which is why you will see me post anywhere from 11 pm to 6 pm,two jobs you see and very little sleep)but I guess I missed the Sox suspension. I may have just missed it in the last day or two,but I do not remember seeing it anywhere unless it happened earlier this season and it just did not register.

7. pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Craig, in case you’ve missed it this season, they’ve needed back up plans for these guys for most of the season.

8. mrsquishy - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Anyone amused by Amphetamine = PED? It’s a shame we did not have all these rules in the good old days, eh? Speed Kills!

9. stlouis1baseball - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Wow…got a couple of Mr. Obvious’s on board today.
    C.C. was joking with regards to the back up plan reference.
    You know…since the Dudes are Single ‘A’ & Rookie ball players.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester