VIDEO: Adam Jones robs Evan Longoria, throws out Matt Joyce for a double play

Aug 25, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Watch as Adam Jones robs Evan Longoria of a home run with a leaping catch before throwing out Matt Joyce to complete a double play:

Pretty much everything went the Orioles’ way this evening, as they trounced the Rays 9-1 at Camden Yards in Baltimore. They hit five homers, including back-to-back-to-back shots from Delmon Young, J.J. Hardy, and Chris Davis in the fifth inning. Meanwhile, Chris Tillman allowed an unearned run over seven innings in the victory. After snapping a three-game losing streak, the first-place Orioles now sit at 74-55 on the year. The Rays are now 64-67 and find themselves on the fringe of playoff contention.

1. uscoach - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM

O’s got themselves a team

2. gg206 - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:23 PM

This was a UGLY performance for Odorizzi and the Rays. 2nd time thru the lineup and the O’s teed off on his fastball. The Jones catch was sick and clinched the game for them as the Rays went away quickly and quietly afterwards likely knowing the win and any miracle chance to win the East was dead and gone, much like their disappointing season. 8GB in WC with 5 teams to catch/pass.. They would need a 9 game win streak just to get back in the convo.. Doubtful.. Time to say night night to my Rays..

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I feel you. Red Sox fan here.

I was hoping the sox would play spoilers but that ain’t happening.Oh well, should be great division races in central and west of both leagues.That will be fun.I like all the teams in the AL that are most likely to make the PS.Kansas and Oakland deserve to go past the first round,but so does B’more.

I guess I will just root against the NL.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Oh yeah,as long as I am being anti NL.

I am kinda rooting for Seligs last goodwill gesture to be the public beating of Jeff Loria, to be televised on the MLB network.I will sign up for double the price.I don’t even need to see games,I will watch the hell out of Jeffy getting concussed.

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM

This was a pretty amazing play. Jones really got up there. And to follow it up with a perfect throw to get the guy at second. Jones should be in the conversation yet again this year when we talk about gold gloves this year.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:46 PM

He was already in the conversation BEFORE that great play.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 26, 2014 at 1:10 AM

I never said he wasn’t…

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 26, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I know you did not say that.I was just saying he is a great CF.Sorry if that did not come across.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Ah, ok. Sorry my bad. Misread.

4. ripwarrior - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Thank you Andy macphail.

5. theravenmaniac - Aug 25, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Nasty catch.

6. rayricespimphand - Aug 25, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Great catch and throw, Pearce was excellent at first and at the plate.

• slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I had to give you a thumb just for your handle.

I realise it is WRONG to laugh,and I feel like dick.

But damn,I am still giggling as I type.You sir are a bad,bad man.

7. argofckyourself - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:10 AM

It’s not that great of a play. It’s a catch he should make. That five foot CF wall in Camden Yards is a total joke.

• Eutaw's Finest - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:38 AM

You sir, are a stooge. Have you ever stepped foot into OPACY? Do you realize the “five foot CF wall” is actually 7ft tall, which is the difference between standing at a wall and being able to reach over, as opposed to having to leap at the wall to rob a HR? And do you realize that Jones, all in one motion, makes that catch, throws to second and gets the runner for a DP? The play was phenomenal. I’m not sure what your issue is with OPACY or the Orioles, but give credit where credit is due. And if you want to call anybody’s OF wall a joke? See Boston (3ft RF wall) or New York (short porch in RF).

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Just look at his name. Obvious troll is obvious.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3316)