And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Aug 26, 2014, 6:43 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 6.41.52 AM AP

Marlins 7, Angels 1: Giancarlo Stanton hit a three-run homer, Jarred Cosart allowed one run on seven hits in seven and two-thirds and the Angels dropped back into a tie with the A’s for first place in the west. Wade LeBlanc — taking his first turn in rotation as Garret Richards’ replacement — gave up six runs on seven hits in three and a third. In other news, someone please needs to tell me why the Angels did not put a waiver claim on Bartolo Colon or Scott Feldman.

Athletics 8, Astros 2: The A’s gain ground behind Jeff Samardzija, who struck out ten in eight innings and Josh Donaldson, who was back in action, and drove in three on two doubles and a single. It was close until the top of the ninth, but the Astros bullpen decided not to show up.

Orioles 9, Rays 1: Five homers for the most homer-happy team in baseball. Delmon Young, J.J. Hardy and Chris Davis homered back-to-back-to-back in the fifth. Delmon Young’s post-game “everyone needs to stop panicking” quote was odd:

“It’s good because it seemed like y’all went in panic mode when we got swept in Chicago,” Young said. “We weren’t scoring many runs, but it happens and then we’re back in our division at home facing a guy we’ve seen before, a team we play, we know their tendencies and everything. And we’ve got better facilities here than Wrigley.”

Is he really saying a crappy locker room in Wrigley Field is part of why they got swept by the Cubs?

Rangers 2, Mariners 0Miles Mikolas tossed eight scoreless innings, allowing only three hits. After the game he gave credit to his catcher, Tom Telis. To which I say: “wait, who are these guys again?”

Rockies 3, Giants 2Tyler Matzek struck out seven in seven innings and the Rockies took their third in a row. Fourth overall at AT&T Park. The Giants hit into four double plays. Or you can say the Rockies turned four if you don’t want to be all negative about it, man. The Rockies scored two in the fourth thanks to two throwing errors by Brandon Crawford and a balk by Jake Peavy. It’s hard not to spin that negatively.

Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 3: Yoenis Cespedes singled home the go-ahead run in the 10th to help end the Sox’ eight-game losing streak. They almost helped extend it by blowing a 3-0 lead in the ninth. That’s when Clay Buchholz — working on a shutout — put three runners on base with only one out before John Farrell went and got him. Koji Uehara allowed all three to score, however. It’s the sort of bad inning that kills a team, but when you’re playing a team that does a good job of killing itself like the Jays do, you can sometimes get away with it.

Brewers 10, Padres 1: Kyle Lohse allowed a run and four hits over six innings and Ryan Braun and Aramis Ramirez homered. Ramirez and Gerardo Parra had three RBI, while Braun, Ramirez and Carlos Gomez each had three hits.

Cardinals 3, Pirates 2: A three-run seventh inning sends the Pirates to their seventh loss in ten games. John Lackey allowed one run over seven.

Phillies 3, Nationals 2: A.J. Burnett allowed one run over seven innings and struck out 12, after which he walked back his “I’ll probably retire after this season” talk from his last start. The Phillies have won four of five.

Yankees 8, Royals 1: The fifth straight win for the Yankees, this one coming behind Michael Pineda who allowed only one run while pitching into the seventh. Jacoby Ellsbury was 3 for 5 with a two-run homer and three driven in. He also picked up his 1,000th career hit.

1. uyf1950 - Aug 26, 2014 at 6:47 AM

Pineda’s pitching well since coming off the DL now if he can only stay healthy. It also looks like Tanaka is making progress in his rehab and could be back in time to give the Yankees starting rotation a boost mid September, we’ll see.

Don’t look now but the Yankees have started to score some runs offensively, hopefully they can keep it up. If so the Yankees may just prove their naysayers wrong. .

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Sources here in our place particularly in the Sanspo sites are saying that Tanaka won’t be back till next season. He’s just getting ready for next year.

• pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:35 AM

I’m fine with that and I hope it’s true. There’s no sense rushing him back even if they somehow get back into the wildcard race.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Well, anything can happen. His health is certainly the number one priority here. If he wants stay at his usual dominant state.

• sdelmonte - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Putting aside my Mets-fan-antipathy of the Yankees, I am glad to see Pineda in the groove. I always like seeing players come back from so much time on the DL.

• pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:56 AM

That’s very magnanimous of you.

• pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Umm, that was genuine.

• sdelmonte - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I could tell, somehow.

If only NBC would create special sarcasm, sincerity and WTF tags.

• pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM

That would be nice.

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM

well like i’ve said and will keep saying ’til I’m blew in the face. It doesn’t matter who they face: shields, price, verlander, felix, sale… The yankees have the best rotation in MLB history (for no f***ing reason.) McCarthy is better than pedro in his prime. He NEVER gives up runs. Shane Greene makes Randy Johnson look like Aaron harang. This is probably the best team ever . they give up less than 2 runs every day. I wonder who they’ll play in the WS. Yankees/Nats would be good. P.S. I doubt I’ll get sick of the announcers talking about jeter all through october

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM

*blue

• pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM

I want what you’re drinking, now.

2. Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 26, 2014 at 6:53 AM

“Koji Uehara allowed all three to score”

Yeps, I just poked my eye on that one.

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Uehara has complained about being tired and they have talked about lowering his work load. I don’t think he will be pitching a lot more this year.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM

“Uehara has complained about being tired”

Whoa, it’s opposite here on what our sites says. He said it’s not fatique but rather just a so called bad game for him.

• Ren - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Probably in today’s game it was a bad one for him Yano, it’s throughout this season he was probably gettin fatiqued at.

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Last four appearances:

Last night he allowed three runs to score, but then got two outs and the win when Boston scored.
        On Thursday he gave up five runs and took the loss.
        Last Tuesday he gave up a run and took the loss.
        On the 16th he gave up a run.

Last night he didn’t talk about fatigue. Early August he did. As I said elsewhere, he is a terrific pitcher. But I think he is tired right now.

3. Old Gator - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:05 AM

Wade LeBlanc was one of the few guys on the Feesh who could throw a decent game at the beginning of last season, and then he suddenly seemed to lose the ability to get a ball past a hitter. I’ve always wondered why, in the absence of any physical problem, a ballplayer suddenly goes from effective to disaster zone and can’t seem, except for one or two freak instances, to get his mojo back. Ah well, the age old mystery.

Speaking of age old mysteries, Azathoth, Yog Sothoth, Nyarlathotep and the rest of the Baseball Gods were having a hoot of a time at Anaheim Stadium (Cthulhu was busy foxing the wires so that Arte Moreno’s panicked bid on Bartolo Colon wound up in a fake bank account owned by a couple of Nigerian con artists). After tripping up the Feesh and changing their clubs to whiffle bats in Colorado, the real-afterlife Lords of Baseball descended on Orange County and hexed the angels, something one supposes they’ve been up to since Paradise Lost. So the Feesh dump two of three to a last place team and then clobber a bunch they’re going to be watching on television in October. The Iron Giant hit a perfectly ordinary three run homer, for him not even a test shot, and it crowds the fall of Baghdad orf the front page here in Macondo because a helpless, Great Old Ones flummoxed Mike Trout happened to be watching (which reminded me of nothing so much as that ancient National Perspirer headline, “Jackie Goes Topless! Caroline Sees!”).

On the hopeful front: Mike Redmond batted Marcell Ozuna cleanup yesterday. Ozuna went 0-4 with a sac fly a picked hisself up a ribby, but hey, the kid was all excited. Without the Elder Gods looking over his shoulder – they will doubtless be having more fun at the Angels-A’s games over the next couple of weeks – he ought to be able to calm down and settle into his birthright in the batting order.

• miguelcairo - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM

What the heck are you talking about?

• groupofsevenrules - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Oh, Gator recently determined that the Baseball Gods were none other than H. P. Lovecraft and August Dereleth’s pantheon of evil “Ancient Ones,” led by the illustrious Chthulhu and whose positions in the hierarchy are described in the “Necronomicon.” This will explain it better than I can, although for a genuinely de-luminating explanation, you need to convince the Gator to expound a bit more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necronomicon.

Or, you can just be patient and enjoy what I have no doubt is going to be Gator’s Lovecraftian analysis of the remainder of the Marlins’ season.

• Jack Glasscock's Cup - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:07 PM

The Iron Giant will turn into a deep one, whereby he will actually be a feesh.

4. nvl004 - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:29 AM

Delmon Young seems like a weird dude. But he has some big hits this year for the O’s.

If you haven’t seen Adam Jones’ catch yet you need to go look it up. That play was awesome. Even tops the Mike Trout over the wall catch in Camden Yards they always show.

5. freedomofspeechyesway - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:30 AM

“Is he really saying a crappy locker room in Wrigley Field is part of why they got swept by the Cubs?”

No he’s talking about how Wrigley, unlike most, if not all, stadiums, have facilities behind the dugout to throw and take BP during rain delays and because of the really awkward fog/rain delay on Saturday many of the O’s players weren’t able to go through their normal delay routine.

It’s one of those things that gets talked about all the time in baseball by players and commentators, was it that unclear of a comment? As for the “is he really saying that” part, I suppose he thinks that if the O’s hitters could have warmed up or stayed warm during the delay they may have been able to win that close game, thus not getting swept…crazy thinking, I know.

• emdash01 - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:49 AM

I mean, the Cubs themselves faced the same limitations. The playing field was perfectly equal.

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:24 AM

• freedomofspeechyesway - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:56 AM

“It’s almost like they’ve been playing in that park for a century without most guys citing it as a reason for losing games, even if they’re not fans of it.”

Not sure where to start here, but here we go.

Delmon Young, who spends most of his time as a DH, spends a great deal of most games behind the dugout taking BP, so taking that in context would explain why he would feel that way above “most guys”.

The quote was fairly tongue in cheek given the recent rain delay hiccups the Cubs have had recently.
        The O’s hit 5 homers on their return to Camden Yards, so who’s to say that they haven’t become accustomed to being able to take mid-game BP?
        I’m not even claiming to agree with Delmon, just explaining what you found to be a “weird” quote, that came across as pretty obvious in meaning to me, and I’m sure others as well.
        I’m not sure if you think your snark makes you look smart, funny, or both; but I can promise you that more often than not, it’s neither.

• burndownhottopic - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:17 AM

1. Maybe that’s why the Cubs have been losing for a century.
        2. Outside of Oakland, what player complains about his home park?
        3. Cubs players play there 81 times/year. I’m sure they have developed other routines to compensate for a lack of facilities.
        4. Visiting players don’t develop routines for ballparks, Craig. They do what works for them, and when a stadium is in the past as far as facilities go, it’s a huge deal.

Wrigley can keep the old timey feel for the fans, but how about putting in a decent cage and/or video room for the ball players.

• rarson - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I sense that Craig is getting tired of hearing about the Orioles.

6. ripwarrior - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:34 AM

I started panicking a bit. Not only because they got swept but because manny is done for the year. Delmon has played great this year so I have no problem that he said that. Just don’t let Ryan flaherty say something like that.

7. Ren - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Delmon is definitely makin big issue stuffs here… He shouldn’t have mentioned that part about Wrigley, facts or not.

8. pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:46 AM

These stupid Yankees are going to pull me in again….. I told myself yesterday that I wouldn’t let this happen, but I’m beginning to fall into the vortex, again. I need a five game losing streak, stat.

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Your lips to God’s ears.

• miguelcairo - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Who?

• Old Gator - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Well, Miguel, you didn’t know what I was talking about, and you didn’t know who she was talking about. I suggest you go have your coffee and come back here when you wake up.

• girardisbraces - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I found myself cheering like an idiot watching yesterday’s game (in its entirety, for probably the second time all season.) This, after whooping and hollering after the McCann walk-off on Sunday, which is probably the first time I’ve been excited about a game in quite a while.

Watching Pineda sail through the Royals’ lineup and seeing the offense click again made me think of “Major League” and the construction worker…. “Ya know, these guys ain’t so f@$%in’ bad.”

As I stated previously, stranger things have happened. If the Yanks can get through this road trip with a winning record – maybe 5-2 – I might see more hope for that second wild card.

9. Eutaw's Finest - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:49 AM

I remember when everybody laughed at the Orioles for signing Delmon Young for mere chump change….

2014: .311 6HR 23 RBI w/ a .806 OPS in only 63 games played. Also has FIVE 3-hit games in those 63 GP. Delmon has been HUGE for the O’s in pinch hit situations too- he’s hitting .529 (9 for 17) and has been a huge reason the O’s have the 2nd highest AVG for PH’s in the league.

Not too shabby for a so-called washed up player with issues…

• pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM

The O’s made a lot of good moves this season. The Cruz signing was a bargain compared to what he’s going to get next season.

• nbjays - Aug 26, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Remember that the Cruz and Young signings are more than offset by the Ubaldo Jiminez fiasco.

• Ren - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM

The power and also the ability to hit for average is still there in him, you can really tell he’s comfortable playin for the O’s.

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 8:12 AM

He was that for us too, once. Beware. Also, victory cakes.

10. sportsdrenched - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I don’t even like the Royals, or even baseball anymore.

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Sorry to hear that. Anything you want to talk about?

• pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Do you have a favorite color?

• Jack Glasscock's Cup - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:09 PM

made me chuckle, and I can’t even explain why.

• pete2112 - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Mine is blue.

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Royal blue

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM

?

/EDIT FUNCTION!

11. APBA Guy - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I believe I’ve asked rhetorically before why anyone would throw a strike to Chris Carter in an RiSP situation, and I suppose the answer is when you know that the other guys’ pitching is going to walk 4 straight and that all of them, plus more, will score, then what the heck, toss it up there. Sam looked good, had the gun showing 96-97 at peak which will work against the offensively challenged. Tonight will be nervous with Hammel on the mound.

Separate post on Drew Pomeranz coming up for a start, to align the rotation for the Angels series later this week. The A’s need to stay focused on winning against the Astros, despite the looming “big series”.

• clydeserra - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I agree, sites on this series, at the same time, I don’t want to see hammel try to figure it out againt the Angels.

If Kazmir could have gone 6 on sunday, we’d be enjoying Mr. Chavez on Wednesday afternoon.

My guess is parrino out for Pomeranz, lowrie replaces Pomeranz on thursday in Anaheim.

Yet another WS run for the Giants