Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon is eligible to be traded anywhere after clearing revocable waivers and the Angels need rotation help following injuries to Garrett Richards and Tyler Skaggs, but don’t expect the two sides to work out a deal.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Colon “does not appear to be a fit for the Angels because of his age (41) and a contract that guarantees him $11 million in 2015.”
DiGiovanna notes that the Angels already have a projected payroll of $170 million for next season and do no want to surpass the $189 million luxury tax threshold.
If the Mets were to eat a sizable chunk of his $11 million salary for 2015 that could change the situation considerably, but unless that happens it doesn’t sound like Colon will end up with the Angels despite having a 3.26 ERA and excellent strikeout-to-walk ratio in 510 innings since 2012.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $150,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $20,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)