Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon is eligible to be traded anywhere after clearing revocable waivers and the Angels need rotation help following injuries to Garrett Richards and Tyler Skaggs, but don’t expect the two sides to work out a deal.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Colon “does not appear to be a fit for the Angels because of his age (41) and a contract that guarantees him $11 million in 2015.”
DiGiovanna notes that the Angels already have a projected payroll of $170 million for next season and do no want to surpass the $189 million luxury tax threshold.
If the Mets were to eat a sizable chunk of his $11 million salary for 2015 that could change the situation considerably, but unless that happens it doesn’t sound like Colon will end up with the Angels despite having a 3.26 ERA and excellent strikeout-to-walk ratio in 510 innings since 2012.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $150,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $20,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)