Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon is eligible to be traded anywhere after clearing revocable waivers and the Angels need rotation help following injuries to Garrett Richards and Tyler Skaggs, but don’t expect the two sides to work out a deal.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Colon “does not appear to be a fit for the Angels because of his age (41) and a contract that guarantees him $11 million in 2015.”
DiGiovanna notes that the Angels already have a projected payroll of $170 million for next season and do no want to surpass the $189 million luxury tax threshold.
If the Mets were to eat a sizable chunk of his $11 million salary for 2015 that could change the situation considerably, but unless that happens it doesn’t sound like Colon will end up with the Angels despite having a 3.26 ERA and excellent strikeout-to-walk ratio in 510 innings since 2012.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $150,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $20,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)