Aug 26, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon is eligible to be traded anywhere after clearing revocable waivers and the Angels need rotation help following injuries to Garrett Richards and Tyler Skaggs, but don’t expect the two sides to work out a deal.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that Colon “does not appear to be a fit for the Angels because of his age (41) and a contract that guarantees him $11 million in 2015.”
DiGiovanna notes that the Angels already have a projected payroll of $170 million for next season and do no want to surpass the $189 million luxury tax threshold.
If the Mets were to eat a sizable chunk of his $11 million salary for 2015 that could change the situation considerably, but unless that happens it doesn’t sound like Colon will end up with the Angels despite having a 3.26 ERA and excellent strikeout-to-walk ratio in 510 innings since 2012.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $150,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Tuesday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $20,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)