Aug 26, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Recently there have been conflicting reports about the status of David Wright‘s injured shoulder, but the Mets third baseman is out of the lineup tonight for the second straight game and admitted that he’s still hurting.
Wright is actually sitting out due to neck spasms, but told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York that the shoulder is a bigger problem and is still “not 100 percent.”
He’s gone 143 at-bats without a homer, including hitting .215 since the All-Star break, yet Wright continues to insist that even at “not 100 percent” his shoulder isn’t the reason for his career-worst season:
Is the shoulder 100 percent? No. But that takes rest. And that’s what the offseason is for. But is that the reason that I’m struggling the way I’m struggling? No. So I think it’s not a reasonable assessment as to why I’m playing poorly. The assessment as to why I’m playing poorly is that I’m not producing the way I’m capable of producing. I don’t think it’s because of my shoulder.
“I’m not producing because I’m not producing” doesn’t really address the issue, although I suppose Wright deserves some level of credit for not making excuses. Of course, if continuing to play through the shoulder problem is leading to horrible production it isn’t really helping Wright or the Mets anyway.
Mets hitting coach Lamar Johnson thinks the shoulder has been an issue and presumably he’s talked to Wright about it, so public quotes to the contrary or not it’s hard not to conclude the shoulder is to blame.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)