Aug 26, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports has a report about Giancarlo Stanton and the Miami Marlins. A report that may make folks in Miami a tad upset while warming the hearts of the folks in Boston and anywhere else where the local team is willing to spend nine figures on top talent.
He recounts how the Marlins, despite multiple teardowns, fan apathy and the expectation by some that they’d lose a LOT of games this year, are still very much in the playoff hunt. Then he asked Stanton whether the changed vibe in Miami has him thinking he’d like to stay around for the long haul:
The question was whether the events of this season had altered his top-down view of the organization. He’d raised his eyes, thinking.
“Five months,” he said, “doesn’t change five years.”
Stanton is a free agent in two years and he’s going to have a couple of hefty arbitration awards before then. Jeff Loria has never shown that he’ll commit to a large payroll or even a top-of-the-market contract for a top-of-the-market player. Stanton is well aware of this and one has to assume he’s not eager to sign a big contract only to see his team’s owner gut the franchise around him.
If I’m Stanton, I wait and see too.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)