Aug 26, 2014, 8:23 AM EST
Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports has a report about Giancarlo Stanton and the Miami Marlins. A report that may make folks in Miami a tad upset while warming the hearts of the folks in Boston and anywhere else where the local team is willing to spend nine figures on top talent.
He recounts how the Marlins, despite multiple teardowns, fan apathy and the expectation by some that they’d lose a LOT of games this year, are still very much in the playoff hunt. Then he asked Stanton whether the changed vibe in Miami has him thinking he’d like to stay around for the long haul:
The question was whether the events of this season had altered his top-down view of the organization. He’d raised his eyes, thinking.
“Five months,” he said, “doesn’t change five years.”
Stanton is a free agent in two years and he’s going to have a couple of hefty arbitration awards before then. Jeff Loria has never shown that he’ll commit to a large payroll or even a top-of-the-market contract for a top-of-the-market player. Stanton is well aware of this and one has to assume he’s not eager to sign a big contract only to see his team’s owner gut the franchise around him.
If I’m Stanton, I wait and see too.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)