Aug 26, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Jason Giambi has been out since June with left knee inflammation and has played just 15 games for the Indians all season, but now the 43-year-old designated hitter has been cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Giambi will join the Double-A lineup tonight, with no official timetable on his expected return date. Most likely it’ll be after rosters expand on September 1, because at this point he’s not a great use of a roster spot.
Giambi is 6-for-47 (.128) this season and has hit .172 in 86 games for the Indians dating back to last year, so he’s kind of more coach than player.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)