Aug 26, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Jason Giambi has been out since June with left knee inflammation and has played just 15 games for the Indians all season, but now the 43-year-old designated hitter has been cleared to begin a minor-league rehab assignment.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Giambi will join the Double-A lineup tonight, with no official timetable on his expected return date. Most likely it’ll be after rosters expand on September 1, because at this point he’s not a great use of a roster spot.
Giambi is 6-for-47 (.128) this season and has hit .172 in 86 games for the Indians dating back to last year, so he’s kind of more coach than player.
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 25
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 3
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 8
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Bryce Harper continues to lead N.L All-Star voting; Buster Posey passes Yadier Molina 19
- Rob Manfred expects there to be spring training games in Cuba next year 13
- Stephen Strasburg has a left trapezius strain 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 106
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (177)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)