Kevin Towers says he and Tony La Russa are getting along great

Aug 26, 2014, 10:36 AM EST

Kevin Towers AP

Most people think that Kevin Towers is a goner after the season, what with the lack of success of the Dbacks, several player moves which have not worked out too well and the fact that ownership brought in Tony La Russa and created a job for him that is above Towers in the pecking order.

But if Towers is feeling the heat, he’s not showing it. Steve Gilbert of MLB.com has a Q&A up with Towers about all things Dbacks today, and one of his questions is about the La Russa situation:

MLB.com: Tony La Russa has said recently that there are a lot of good things going on in the organization, and it seems like you two have developed a good rapport so far.

Towers: He’s been great. It’s nice to have a guy that’s been as successful in uniform around. Our dialogue has been good. I mean he’s a baseball guy, he’s easy to talk to. It’s nice to be able to pick his brain. I always wanted to pick his brain when he was in the other dugout with the Cardinals. Now when you have him on the same team, it’s very valuable — not just to me but the entire organization to have someone with his knowledge and success here.

He notes at the end that, yes, his situation is sort of up in the air. But I guess if he is canned, at least he’s had a few good months of baseball talk with a Hall of Famer.

1. gbrim - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I hope TLR is just being professional as he gets ready to show KT the door.

• Paper Lions - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Sure, but KT is exactly the kind of GM that TLR would hire if he is in charge of the hiring process. I wouldn’t expect a huge shift in organizational philosophy or analytical based approaches to talent evaluation, scouting, or roster construction.

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I think the deciding factor will be results. Whatever his weaknesses, I think TLR will go to the bottom line, and KT will be out. I was looking at the article on the dbacks in Baseball Prospectus last night, and KT’s inability to come up with a plan and stick with it just jumps out to you. And player development? What a laugh.

I realize it is a small sample size, but I love it that McCarthy got out of Arizona and immediately had a run of good pitching. That tells me something about how they handle their people.

• Paper Lions - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM

The whole organization has a “knee-jerk reaction” quality to it. The CEO/president guy is all kinds of knee-jerky, and apparently many of the trades have been because Gibson didn’t like a guy and wanted him gone. Just weird dynamics.

They should tear it (the FO) all down and start over…including getting rid of the meddling ownership interest guy.

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Or, if you prefer, Adam Eaton at the White Sox.

2. luz56 - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM

My ex-wife and I got along great too

3. ejheim62 - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM

translation: he’s toast, and knows it

4. gloccamorra - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:06 PM

He had put his Phoenix house up for sale. See if it’s been sold yet, or has recently been taken off the market.

5. bklynbaseball - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM

So what if he is ‘toast?’ How you leave a job, a company, a relationship says more about your character than anything else. Everyone can be mature and professional when things are going well. How you behave when things aren’t going your way speaks to your true character.

• jeffbbf - Aug 26, 2014 at 12:50 PM

meh – people are jackasses when things are going well, too. Probably more.

6. coryfor3 - Aug 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Too bad neither of them keep the Dbacks from being one of the worst run teams right now

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3318)
  2. J. Kang (3137)
  3. C. McGehee (2854)
  4. J. Upton (2843)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2832)
  1. D. Ross (2676)