Aug 26, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Bartolo Colon somehow cleared waivers. Not sure how given how the Angels could desperately use a starting pitcher, but he did. Maybe no one wants to pay him $11 million next year. Seems to me that you’d want to do everything you can to improve on Wade LeBlanc and avoid having to play in the wild card game where you may be facing Felix Hernandez, Max Scherzer or Danny Duffy, but what do I know?
I know this much — because I read Andy Martino’s story about it — there is still interest in Colon:
There is still active interest in Colon. One American League executive identified that Angels, Dodgers and Royals as teams he expected to be most engaged.
“The Angels will be all over him,” the exec said. “They don’t have many prospects, but I believe the Mets want to clear the money.”
Which again makes me wonder why they didn’t just claim him, but whatever.
What I don’t get is why the Royals would be interested. They are fourth in starter ERA in the American League and have four above average starters. Their fifth — Jeremy Guthrie — is having a year about the same as Colon is. You’re going to give up a prospect for that upgrade?
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)