Aug 26, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Bartolo Colon somehow cleared waivers. Not sure how given how the Angels could desperately use a starting pitcher, but he did. Maybe no one wants to pay him $11 million next year. Seems to me that you’d want to do everything you can to improve on Wade LeBlanc and avoid having to play in the wild card game where you may be facing Felix Hernandez, Max Scherzer or Danny Duffy, but what do I know?
I know this much — because I read Andy Martino’s story about it — there is still interest in Colon:
There is still active interest in Colon. One American League executive identified that Angels, Dodgers and Royals as teams he expected to be most engaged.
“The Angels will be all over him,” the exec said. “They don’t have many prospects, but I believe the Mets want to clear the money.”
Which again makes me wonder why they didn’t just claim him, but whatever.
What I don’t get is why the Royals would be interested. They are fourth in starter ERA in the American League and have four above average starters. Their fifth — Jeremy Guthrie — is having a year about the same as Colon is. You’re going to give up a prospect for that upgrade?
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)