The Tigers claimed Chad Qualls on revocable waivers

Aug 26, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Chad Qualls Getty Getty Images

Yesterday Chad Qualls was claimed off revocable waivers by an unidentified team. Today the team has been identified: the Detroit Tigers.

Qualls has posted a 3.07 ERA and 38/5 K/BB ratio over 44 innings while going 14-for-17 in save opportunities. He’s under contract for $3 million next season and there’s a $3.5 million club option. It’s doubtful, however, that the Astros would simply let him go on waivers, and they are on record saying that it would take a nice haul in return for them to let him go.

The Tigers, of course, have perpetual bullpen problems and have decided that throwing anyone who has ever sniffed the eighth or ninth inning at the problem is the best way to solve it. It may be the only way for them solve it, actually, although it’s unclear whether they have anything Houston wants in return.

The teams have until sometime tomorrow to complete a trade. Though the Astros could, of course, pull Qualls off waivers at any time.

1. druhlman - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM

They now want J.D. Martinez back! Haha

• tigersfandan - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Houston has to be so miffed that they didn’t get anything in return for him!

• Hard On For Harden - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Yeah, Luhnow’s jaw must have hit the floor when he was unable to move a 26 year old OF with a negative WAR and sub .700 OPS. Listen, props to him for putting it together this season, but let’s cut out the Captain Hindsight crap.

• tigersfandan - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Geez, taking things personally much?

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Martinez falls somewhere in between. He didn’t figure it out in Houston; they sold low. But he is not that good; I think regression to about .270 with an OPS in the high .700’s has started.

Captain Hindsight. I like that.

• tigersfandan - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

He may have had a point, but it’s hard to take someone seriously when they get that ticked off over a harmless comment. J.D. may be starting to decline a little in performance, but he’s still been a major steal for us.

• Hard On For Harden - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Any anger perceived is all in your head.

2. jeffchadwick - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Tigers officially in desperation mode (if they weren’t already).

• doctorofsmuganomics - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM

why is it desperation mode to get a pitcher who’s having a good year?

by that logic, the A’s were in super desperation mode, trying to get yunel escobar

• dan1111 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:12 AM

It’s less than that, even. They didn’t even get him yet; all they did was offer to take on his (very low) salary. Who knows if they are even willing to give up anything for him?

• grumpyoleman - Aug 26, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Technically he had a good first half. Not so much since the all-star break.

3. greymares - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:40 AM

If I was a Detroit fan I would be upset they don’t deal for Papelbon.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM

you’d be the only one.

• greymares - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Really he has 33 saves out of 60 wins for a pathetic Phillies team. But you prefer Chad Qualls. Lol.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:12 PM

He’s also a nightmare. For fans and management.

And I’d prefer neither. I’m perfectly happy with Greg Holland

4. stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Hold on there. The ‘Stros are 55-77. They are showing signs of life, but let’s not get carried. away. The Tigres are 70-59 and by all accounts underperforming their talent base.

And you wonder if the Tigres have anything the ‘Stro’s would want?

They may ask too much for a mostly over the hill pitcher who is having a bit of a resurgence, but c’mon. If Luhnow can’t think of anything he wants from Detroit, we need to fire him now.

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:03 AM

/rummages around in sack

Let’s see what we got here. How about Jim Johnson and, uh, Blaine Hardy, and OOooh! this piece of lint. Tiger lint. wink wink

• tigersfandan - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Blaine Hardy is NOT for sale!

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Fine. Pick some other bait to unload JJ with. It couldn’t be Coke or Nathan. It better not be Alburquerque, Joba, or Soria. Half of our other guys are broke down. The Astros will want something.

• tigersfandan - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Pat McCoy. Chad Smith. Justin Miller. I just don’t want to trade the guy that’s arguably been our best reliever.

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I’d argue that. I don’t think he’s best. But okay on the others going. Again, I think there would have to be some honey to go with that bitter pill. It still wouldn’t be the worst trade we made this year.

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Yeah, well, that’s the issue, philiac. There are deals to be made but that doesn’t mean they will get together on one. Qualls is most likely a rental for the Tigres.

I’d sway managers straight up!. Ausmus for Porter! C’mon, waddaya say?

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I’m starting to think he’s just a pretty face. :( But, I’ll pass on the Porter anyway. I don’t think Bo knows Tigres.

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM

“swap”. Sorry.

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM

No, I don’t think you get Ausmus. He was always one of the more intelligent players in the game. It may well be that the Tigres were the wrong place for a rookie manager. I wondered about that when they got him.

Detroit is a team that on paper has more talent than just about anyone. But year after year they seem to squeak into the playoffs, or at least win a lot fewer games than they should. I’m not sure who is the right manager in a situation like that. Maybe it’s a poor fit.

But I would take a chance on him.

• historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Oh, I used to worry about getting pretty boys back when I had teen beat posters on my wall. Those days are long gone. I agree that the fact that he’s a rookie manager could be an issue here. Undoubtedly, he’s hampered by injuries and a crap bullpen though too. Still, fans complained about Leyland’s laid back style, fearing that it was a lack of motivation or ability to push the players to reach their potential that was the issue and blaming his style — and I think some of them feel the same now about Brad. I don’t get the sense that Ausome is particularly wiley myself, but you don’t know what he’ll be in time. Time, unfortunately, is not something we have a lot of right now though.

• dan1111 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Every team has enough talent in their farm system to acquire a role player like Qualls at fair value. The question is how much the Tigers want him (and how what they offer compares to what Oakland thinks they could get in the offseason).

• stex52 - Aug 26, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Bingo. I agree 100%. But with the Nathan debacle they may be feeling just a touch desperate. Luhnow just needs not to overplay his hand.

5. historiophiliac - Aug 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Is this a sign we aren’t going to go cheap on the BP anymore — I mean cash-wise, not as in give away a really solid pitcher for a bag of balls-wise. If so, I’d be happy. They keep buying everyone’s crappy castoffs instead of someone who’s doing well. If this is a sea change, I welcome it…waiting to exhale still though.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2992)