Aug 26, 2014, 6:32 PM EST
From Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star comes word that Yordano Ventura has been scratched from his scheduled Wednesday start against the Twins due to stiffness around the middle of his back. Liam Hendriks, acquired from the Blue Jays in late July for infielder Danny Valencia, will be called up from Triple-A Omaha to pitch in Ventura’s place.
“After his last start he developed a little bit of mid-back tightness,” Yost told the Kansas City Star on Tuesday evening. “It’s gotten better, but we’re not going to push it. We’re going to skip a start.”
Ventura has guided the Royals to victories in five of his last six outings and boasts a 3.40 ERA with 125 strikeouts in 145 2/3 innings this season as a rookie. The 23-year-old should return to action this weekend.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 77
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 41
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (79)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)