Aug 26, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
From Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star comes word that Yordano Ventura has been scratched from his scheduled Wednesday start against the Twins due to stiffness around the middle of his back. Liam Hendriks, acquired from the Blue Jays in late July for infielder Danny Valencia, will be called up from Triple-A Omaha to pitch in Ventura’s place.
“After his last start he developed a little bit of mid-back tightness,” Yost told the Kansas City Star on Tuesday evening. “It’s gotten better, but we’re not going to push it. We’re going to skip a start.”
Ventura has guided the Royals to victories in five of his last six outings and boasts a 3.40 ERA with 125 strikeouts in 145 2/3 innings this season as a rookie. The 23-year-old should return to action this weekend.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11