Aug 26, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
From Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star comes word that Yordano Ventura has been scratched from his scheduled Wednesday start against the Twins due to stiffness around the middle of his back. Liam Hendriks, acquired from the Blue Jays in late July for infielder Danny Valencia, will be called up from Triple-A Omaha to pitch in Ventura’s place.
“After his last start he developed a little bit of mid-back tightness,” Yost told the Kansas City Star on Tuesday evening. “It’s gotten better, but we’re not going to push it. We’re going to skip a start.”
Ventura has guided the Royals to victories in five of his last six outings and boasts a 3.40 ERA with 125 strikeouts in 145 2/3 innings this season as a rookie. The 23-year-old should return to action this weekend.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (246)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (147)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)