Aug 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
With an $11 million salary for next season Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon is apparently out of the Angels’ price range as they try to upgrade the injury wrecked rotation, but Diamondbacks right-hander Trevor Cahill could be an option.
Wade LeBlanc has already been cast aside as Garrett Richards‘ rotation replacement and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times lists Cahill among “potential trade targets.” However, here’s the confusing part: Cahill is owed $12 million for 2015, which is actually slightly more than Colon.
And whereas Colon has been a very good pitcher for three straight seasons Cahill pitched himself back to Triple-A earlier this year and has a 4.98 ERA in 87 innings for the Diamondbacks overall this season. Cahill is 15 years younger than Colon and presumably the Diamondbacks are willing to eat a bunch of his salary while the Mets aren’t, but if the Angels are trying to win this season and next season it sure seems like the older, better pitcher would be the superior target.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)