Aug 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
With an $11 million salary for next season Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon is apparently out of the Angels’ price range as they try to upgrade the injury wrecked rotation, but Diamondbacks right-hander Trevor Cahill could be an option.
Wade LeBlanc has already been cast aside as Garrett Richards‘ rotation replacement and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times lists Cahill among “potential trade targets.” However, here’s the confusing part: Cahill is owed $12 million for 2015, which is actually slightly more than Colon.
And whereas Colon has been a very good pitcher for three straight seasons Cahill pitched himself back to Triple-A earlier this year and has a 4.98 ERA in 87 innings for the Diamondbacks overall this season. Cahill is 15 years younger than Colon and presumably the Diamondbacks are willing to eat a bunch of his salary while the Mets aren’t, but if the Angels are trying to win this season and next season it sure seems like the older, better pitcher would be the superior target.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)