Aug 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
With an $11 million salary for next season Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon is apparently out of the Angels’ price range as they try to upgrade the injury wrecked rotation, but Diamondbacks right-hander Trevor Cahill could be an option.
Wade LeBlanc has already been cast aside as Garrett Richards‘ rotation replacement and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times lists Cahill among “potential trade targets.” However, here’s the confusing part: Cahill is owed $12 million for 2015, which is actually slightly more than Colon.
And whereas Colon has been a very good pitcher for three straight seasons Cahill pitched himself back to Triple-A earlier this year and has a 4.98 ERA in 87 innings for the Diamondbacks overall this season. Cahill is 15 years younger than Colon and presumably the Diamondbacks are willing to eat a bunch of his salary while the Mets aren’t, but if the Angels are trying to win this season and next season it sure seems like the older, better pitcher would be the superior target.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)