Aug 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
With an $11 million salary for next season Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon is apparently out of the Angels’ price range as they try to upgrade the injury wrecked rotation, but Diamondbacks right-hander Trevor Cahill could be an option.
Wade LeBlanc has already been cast aside as Garrett Richards‘ rotation replacement and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times lists Cahill among “potential trade targets.” However, here’s the confusing part: Cahill is owed $12 million for 2015, which is actually slightly more than Colon.
And whereas Colon has been a very good pitcher for three straight seasons Cahill pitched himself back to Triple-A earlier this year and has a 4.98 ERA in 87 innings for the Diamondbacks overall this season. Cahill is 15 years younger than Colon and presumably the Diamondbacks are willing to eat a bunch of his salary while the Mets aren’t, but if the Angels are trying to win this season and next season it sure seems like the older, better pitcher would be the superior target.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)