Aug 27, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
With an $11 million salary for next season Mets right-hander Bartolo Colon is apparently out of the Angels’ price range as they try to upgrade the injury wrecked rotation, but Diamondbacks right-hander Trevor Cahill could be an option.
Wade LeBlanc has already been cast aside as Garrett Richards‘ rotation replacement and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times lists Cahill among “potential trade targets.” However, here’s the confusing part: Cahill is owed $12 million for 2015, which is actually slightly more than Colon.
And whereas Colon has been a very good pitcher for three straight seasons Cahill pitched himself back to Triple-A earlier this year and has a 4.98 ERA in 87 innings for the Diamondbacks overall this season. Cahill is 15 years younger than Colon and presumably the Diamondbacks are willing to eat a bunch of his salary while the Mets aren’t, but if the Angels are trying to win this season and next season it sure seems like the older, better pitcher would be the superior target.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)