Cole Hamels is the latest Phillies player who is irked at Ryne Sandberg

Aug 27, 2014, 9:07 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 9.06.28 AM Getty Images

It was one thing when underperformers like Domonic Brown were complaining about Ryne Sandberg’s decisions. But now Cole Hamels is. At least in a passive-aggressive fashion. From Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:

Cole Hamels appeared none too happy with Sandberg’s decision to remove him from Tuesday night’s game after giving up a game-tying home run (on his 84th pitch) to lead off the eighth inning . . . After the game, Hamels employed some textbook passive aggressiveness in confirming what his body language told everybody in the ballpark as he left the mound: He was perturbed that Sandberg did not let him stay in the game.

“Um, I just think it was a good game and we were able to win,” said Hamels as he pointedly dodged a question about why he was so visibly upset upon leaving the game.

He had only thrown 84 pitches. But at the same time, he had escaped a jam of his own devising in the seventh and had just given up the lead. And his team won. His team has won a lot lately, actually, against some good teams. One would think that would buy Sandberg a little slack, but I guess not.

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Really hard to know what to make of all of this – and to be sure, when you are losing, everything ticks everybody off more than it otherwise would. So there’s that.

In the small sense – every move in question has been legit by Ryno. I actually thought Cole should have come out after the 7th, despite the pitch count. And Bucnahan and Brown….yea, well, that goes without saying they have nothing to complain about. So in a small picture – side with Sandberg.

In a LARGER sense….I really am disappointed in his first year as a skipper. The Phillies were not going to contend, but he was supposed to do two things: control the team and develop the younger players. Can anyone really say either of those things have happened? Revere is improved (sorta), but Brown, Asche, Galvis, Ruf…all steps backwards. So when things like this crop up around keeping a lid on the clubhouse, you have to stop and say “What was Sandberg hired to do again?”

• toodrunktotastethischicken - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Asche, Galvis, and Ruf all spent time on the DL at some point. And with Galvis specifically he was in the 2 for 46 slump so that didn’t help his cause at all. With Ruf I agree they’ve been mishandling him since they called him up two years ago.

• 76ersdoubletank - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Honestly, I think with Hamels it all stems from this year as whole, particularly how it relates to his own statistics. He’s suffered from a few years of below average run support now, and even though we in the baseball fanbase know wins don’t matter as much, Hamels seems to be irked by it. Quite frankly, I think Hamels wants to get wins on the back of his baseball card. That’s probably why he’s mad when he is pulled from any close game. He pitched well last night, and Ryno made the right call.

2. Bob Loblaw - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:20 AM

The problem with this team is that they were coddled for so long by the greatest player manager of all time, Uncle Cholly, and they are so used to getting away with murder (and don’t give me the “He benched Jimmy Rollins” nonsense as that was one guy). Had that been Uncle Cholly last night, he would have NEVER come out to get Cole. He would have let him give up 6 runs out there, because that’s his guy. He did the same thing with Cole and Doc all the time.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…the Phillies won a WS and all those games DESPITE Unlce Cholly’s horrible game management because he had the skill of being the greatest player manager and was perfect for this team. I don’t think anybody short of LaRussa or Earl Weaver would have worked with this team until all those guys (Rollins, Utley, Howard, Hamels, etc.) are gone.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I agree Charlie would have left Cole in – Hamels, Lee and Halladay never came out of games unless behind a lot. That said A) I don’t think this group is that hard to manage, and B) Brown and Buchanan are not mouthing off because they were “used” to Charlie. Buchanan never played for him, and Charlie demoted Brown like 14 times!

But even if you disagree on the coddle factor – the main thing he was supposed to do was develop younger talent. Has he?

• Paper Lions - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:41 AM

There isn’t really much young talent to develop.

You’ll have a hard time finding scouts that thought Asche, Ruf, or Galvis could develop into average everyday players. You are right that they haven’t gotten better, but Ruf is a DH, Galvis has a utility player ceiling, and Asche has been about as good as anyone could reasonably expect him to be.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Your missing the point – he is supposed to develop what they have, and with the exception of Revere, they all are worse. Yes, the Phillies need to draft better. But Sandbergs job was not to retroactively undo the past 6 years of draft picks. His job was to work to develop what is there, and he so far has failed

I am not saying those guys are All Stars, but I am saying so far, they all have been worse under Sandberg.

• Paper Lions - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I am not sure that your expectations for players that the industry thinks will be below average players is reasonable. You can’t expect any coach to develop talent that isn’t there….well, you can expect it, but you should expect to be disappointed.

You are also wrong. Asche hasn’t been worse, he’s been the same and about exactly what he should be expected to be.

Ruf and Galvis have both been hurt most of the year.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:20 AM

“You can’t expect any coach to develop talent that isn’t there”

But that is a slippery slope to saying mangers do nothing other than fill out the line-up cards.

And again, I am not asking fro these guys to be All-Stars. I am saying he was hired to make them better. You are reading too much into what I am saying

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Agree with Paper here. Where’s the “young talent”? amaro has f’d this entire system up from the bottom to the top. He needs to go. Whether Ryno is a casualty of this, I don’t know. But I agree that Sandberg hasn’t shown me anything with regards to game management or how he handles the players to think that he would survive the firing of the GM.

Of course, the firing of this GM is probably wishful thinking at least for another dismal year.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I agree he doesn’t have much to work with, and I do not fault him for that. I just fault him for what he has done with what he has. From what I have seen of Sandberg, I am not so sure he would have done better with Blue Chips

3. eagles512 - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:02 AM

The other 2 don’t have room to complain and Kendrick is the last guy in the league that should. But I agree with Hamels.

• someguyinva - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:22 AM

The last nine batters Hamels faced had five hits (including a home run), one walk, and one loud out (Espinosa’s liner to Rollins). Yeah, his pitch count was low for the game, but about 25 of them were in the 7th, and it looked like he wasn’t really fooling anyone anymore.

After the 8th was over, the Nats’ announcers were wondering why Giles hadn’t started the 8th with the stuff he has.

4. succulentnipples - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Big John Football is mad at Ryne Sandburg.

5. drs76109 - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Well, Rich Dubee was around too, along with Manuel. And while there is merit to the argument that everyone was handled differently by Manuel, I think enough doubt about Sandberg’s managerial ability has been raised now that the Phillies really need to look at this.

After they really look at the GM. Because the GM shopped for the groceries, including the manager,

The criticism of Sandberg redounds to Bowa, too, as a bench coach, and McClure, so really, we are looking at a complete review of the coaching staff.

I’m Philadelphia born and raised. – hdg to town tonight for the ballgame – and while Sand berg was handed a lot of this, I’m now not sure if he survives this. Even with the Phillies being traditionally tone deaf to the thundering herd. But attendance is down, and that fried Ed Wade and the same invective is being hurled at Amaro.

And where are those “senior advisers”.? lurking in the background, working journalistic sources to write pieces that support the company policy…

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3227)