Aug 27, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Tigers entered play Wednesday night trailing the Royals by 1 1/2 games in the American League Central standings and were hoping to get another strong start from trade deadline acquisition David Price, who tossed eight innings of one-hit ball last week in Tampa Bay. Price did not come through.
The left-hander held the Yankees scoreless through the first two innings, but New York rattled off nine consecutive hits to open the top of the third inning, eventually charging Price with eight earned runs.
Here’s the inning recap from Yahoo’s box score:
It was the shortest — and worst — outing of Price’s illustrious major league career and he drew boos from the Comerica Park crowd after he was lifted in the third. Price has been mostly dominant since joining Detroit in a three-team trade on July 31, but Wednesday’s blowup launched his Tigers ERA to 4.41.
David Price since July 31: 4.41 ERA, 1.10 WHIP in 32 2/3 IP Drew Smyly since July 31: 1.50 ERA, 0.69 WHIP in 36 IP
— Drew Silva (@drewsilv) August 28, 2014
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)