Aug 27, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
This is a reminder that the NFL — a league that does not have HGH testing yet never ever gets slammed for its PED policies the way baseball does — just suspended a guy for a year for smoking weed.
And, while you may defend the glorious NFL here by saying “hey, rules are rules and Gordon broke them,” as Florio noted earlier this month, Gordon would likely not even be subject to a suspension if the NFL had actually gotten its HGH testing in place. Years after it said it wanted to. And of course, just because Gordon may have bad judgment does not make the NFL’s drug policies and discipline priorities any less dumb.
You may now return to obsessing over your fantasy team and talking about how baseball’s drug problems just ruin everything for you. Or, if you live in two of the 22 states in which the NFL operates that have legalized marijuana, you can go smoke a joint and no one will do anything to you.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)