Aug 27, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
This is a reminder that the NFL — a league that does not have HGH testing yet never ever gets slammed for its PED policies the way baseball does — just suspended a guy for a year for smoking weed.
And, while you may defend the glorious NFL here by saying “hey, rules are rules and Gordon broke them,” as Florio noted earlier this month, Gordon would likely not even be subject to a suspension if the NFL had actually gotten its HGH testing in place. Years after it said it wanted to. And of course, just because Gordon may have bad judgment does not make the NFL’s drug policies and discipline priorities any less dumb.
You may now return to obsessing over your fantasy team and talking about how baseball’s drug problems just ruin everything for you. Or, if you live in two of the 22 states in which the NFL operates that have legalized marijuana, you can go smoke a joint and no one will do anything to you.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 13
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 46
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)