John Rocker to join the cast of “Survivor”

Aug 27, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT

John Rocker

Apparently “Survivor” is still a thing. But given how close to the bottom of the barrel they’ve gotten to find “celebrity” contestants, I can’t imagine it’ll be a thing for long. Their latest find:

Controversial former baseball relief pitcher John Rocker will be playing along with his girlfriend, spray-tan business owner Julie McGee. Rocker pitched for the Atlanta Braves in the 1999 World Series against the Yankees.

When I tweeted this out a bit ago multiple people wondered whether this season of “Survivor” will take place on the 7 train. We can only wish. Sadly, it’ll be in Nicaragua. Which I’m sure will annoy Rocker in some way given that he’s a xenophobic whack-job. I have $50 on him wondering why people there don’t speak English sometime during the first episode.

1. doctorofsmuganomics - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM

this ought to be good for a laugh at least.

On a related note, how is survivor still going on?

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Can’t we just get him, Mitch Williams, Nails Dykstra, and, say, Chad Curtis on a prison release, and just put them in a steel cage death match?

• historiophiliac - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM

So far, it’s a millennium of Survivor. We’ve come so far since the Crusades and intentional bleeding.

2. yahmule - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM

That show is still on the air?

• convincedofthehex - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Survivor still pulls in good ratings and is a big money maker for CBS. It’s not going away.

• yahmule - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I only watched the first season. They were never going to top that fat naked scheming gay dude.

• 18thstreet - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:42 AM

That’s got to be a really expensive show to produce, doesn’t it?

3. psukardi - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Hope the cast consists of an African-American single mother that confides in the cast that she has 7 children out of wedlock, a Hispanic-American with neck tattoos and perhaps a homosexual with purple hair.

I’ll be getting the popcorn ready for this one

4. genericcommenter - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Well, he’s no Gary Hogeboom or anything.

5. sdelmonte - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM

If there was ever a man who deserved to be voted off the island…

Funny story: not long after Rocker’s moronic 7-train comments, my wife and I and a bunch were coming home from Manhattan via Flushing on that train. And as we tend to do, we were being silly and started to sing some Tom Lehrer songs. I don’t remember why, but we were having fun. However, we needed to stop. Why? One friend pointed out that you can’t sing “National Brotherhood Week” on the 7-train! The fact that my wife – a total non-fan of sports – got the joke, and still remembers the joke, shows just how big a jerk Rocker became then.

• pjmitch - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM

You are going to get some thumbs down due to most not knowing who or what a genius Tom Lehrer is, but I sir give you a big THUMBS UP. Well done.

• auminer96 - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Tom Lehrer is AWESOME! My dad introduced his music to my sister and me when we were kids. Then in college, my sister and I introduced his music to all our girlfriends. We still sing his songs when we get together! The elements song is a very popular one with us because we’re all engineers and scientists. But, the Vatican Rag is my personal favorite.

6. pete2112 - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Wonderful. I’m sure he’ll share more of his ignorant thoughts to the world.

7. pete2112 - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Wonderful. I’m sure he’ll share more of his ignorant thoughts to the world.

8. Bob Loblaw - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM

They likely won’t see any indigenous people. With Survivor, it is usually just the cast members and Jeff Probst. Considering how conscious they are of good publicity, I am surprised they took him onboard. I guess the overall hate for him and his comments has died down in the “non-sports” world.

9. succulentnipples - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Big John Football is a survivor.

10. ripwarrior - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Spray tans are so awful. Tan is out and pale is in.

11. happytwinsfan - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:37 AM

“Spray tan business owner”? Oh the glamour!

• 18thstreet - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Oh the irony!

I mean, her whole business is to change white people’s skin color! And give them cancer, but that’s just an inevitable side effect. The skin color part is much funnier than the cancer part.

• historiophiliac - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Do yo think she helps Rocker get browner?

12. normcash - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:38 AM

One can only hope that Rocker gets his ass thoroughly beaten in several challenges by a gay guy—not just a regular gay guy, but an over-the-top flamboyant guy who embodies every
    stereotype floating around in what passes for Rocker’s mind.

13. historiophiliac - Aug 27, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Still not as gross as Larry as the Bachelor would be…

14. sparkysaballer - Aug 27, 2014 at 11:49 AM

The bashing of Survivor by people who don’t even watch it is funny. True, it’s not getting the same ratings as when it first premiered, but there’s still 11 million people watching every week. Should be interesting with Rocker on it. I don’t like the guy and his views, but he should be a great player this season.

• 18thstreet - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Man, that only leaves 302,000,000 of us who AREN’T watching.

• pete2112 - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:35 PM

The only reason I’m bashing Survivor is because of Rocker. I stopped caring about this show about ten years ago.

15. wpjohnson - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Rocker was not politically correct but he was factually correct.

• 18thstreet - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM

“The biggest thing I don’t like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?”

True story: there are a lot of immigrants speaking foreign languages in New York. WPJohnson apparently agrees with John Rocker that it’s the worst thing about New York City. I do not.

• nworca - Aug 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Explain, please, what he was factually correct about.

16. sabatimus - Aug 27, 2014 at 2:10 PM

First one voted off the island.

17. kinggator - Aug 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Stupid meets Dumb and you hope for a Tsunami!!

18. pete2112 - Aug 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM

His 7-Train comments:
    “I’d retire first. It’s the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you’re riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It’s depressing… The biggest thing I don’t like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?”

You could say this for a lot of big cities in the US, not just New York City. In fact, I’m pretty sure sections of downtown Atlanta probably have a little of what he’s describing about New York City. Even if factual, it’s his ignorance that is/was the problem. Maybe he’s wised up a little over the years.

19. larrymahnken - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM

How many other flameouts from 15 years ago are still getting publicity? Sounds like his SI interview was a good career move.

20. upperdecker19 - Aug 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Donald Sterling must have declined first?

21. Minoring In Baseball - Aug 27, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I’ve never watched an episode of Survivor, and I won’t start now. Not even with a former ballplayer in the cast.

22. xbam1 - Aug 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM

the bottom of he barrel? Craig the bottom of the barrel is being a writer for this site!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3492)