Twenty-two top-100 prospects named to the Arizona Fall League

Aug 27, 2014, 11:32 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 10.39.02 AM Getty Images

We learned yesterday that Byron Buxton, baseball’s top overall prospect according to MLB.com, will play in the Arizona Fall League. Yesterday Minor League Baseball announced that 21 more of baseball’s top-100 prospects will join him.

Among them: Addison Russell of the Cubs, Corey Seager of the Dodgers, Josh Bell of the Pirates, Raul Mondesi of the Royals, Mark Appel of the Astros and Jesse Winker of the Reds. A list of other top prospects in the Fall League can be seen here.

The Arizona Fall League is one of baseball’s annual hidden gems. A far greater density of top prospects than you’ll see anywhere in gorgeous Arizona October and November weather with none of the crowds you usually see in spring training. I’m told it’s one of the best experiences for a baseball fan. I have yet to make it — and circumstances are likely to prevent me from doing so this year — but one of these years I’m gonna fire up the virtual bloggy RV and spend a week or two out there for it.

1. succulentnipples - Aug 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Big Johnathon Football will not be interested.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:21 PM

How ya doin’ Little John?

2. rhmurphy - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:16 PM

“baseball’s annual hidden gems,” hidden amongst the meth dens.

3. drewsylvania - Aug 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM

The biggest problem appears to be that…it’s Arizona.

• sophiethegreatdane - Aug 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I was in Phoenix for work last week, and managed to find a *fantastic* craft cocktail bar, and a very good restaurant down the street from it. I’ve had trouble finding cool places in prior visits.

That said, I was also forced to watch most of a D’backs and Padres game. So, there’s that.

4. drewzducks - Aug 27, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Raul Mondesi must be the oldest prospect in the AFL.

5. qcubed3 - Aug 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I live in PHX, and have been going to watch Fall Ball for the last four years. It is my favorite of the three seasons of baseball out here! And for those who question why people live in Phoenix, come out in October and November when the weather is at its finest and see what makes powering through the four (or five!) months of summer worth it.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5809)