Aug 27, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
We learned yesterday that Byron Buxton, baseball’s top overall prospect according to MLB.com, will play in the Arizona Fall League. Yesterday Minor League Baseball announced that 21 more of baseball’s top-100 prospects will join him.
Among them: Addison Russell of the Cubs, Corey Seager of the Dodgers, Josh Bell of the Pirates, Raul Mondesi of the Royals, Mark Appel of the Astros and Jesse Winker of the Reds. A list of other top prospects in the Fall League can be seen here.
The Arizona Fall League is one of baseball’s annual hidden gems. A far greater density of top prospects than you’ll see anywhere in gorgeous Arizona October and November weather with none of the crowds you usually see in spring training. I’m told it’s one of the best experiences for a baseball fan. I have yet to make it — and circumstances are likely to prevent me from doing so this year — but one of these years I’m gonna fire up the virtual bloggy RV and spend a week or two out there for it.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 28
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 22
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)