Aug 28, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Last night after the Brewers lost to the Padres in extra innings manager Ron Roenicke tore into home plate umpire Mark Ripperger, who ejected Roenicke from the game in the ninth inning.
Ripperger was previously the home plate umpire for a Brewers win over the Mets in July and apparently Roenicke was angry at him then too, so he said the following to Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last night:
This is the thing that bothers me: This is the same umpire that we had before, and he is terrible behind home plate. He calls pitches that aren’t even close. The catcher sets up six inches off the plate and he calls them strikes. I should have been kicked out the last time that we saw him. He was behind the plate.
I’m tired of sitting here watching the catcher set up off the plate and hitting his glove and calling it a strike. They’re balls. So Frankie misses, OK, it’s off the plate this much, the first one he calls a ball. He’s been calling it all night. The next one was a little further off, but he’s been calling that also. Just call the same pitches, but they’re balls. I should have been kicked out in probably the second inning today. It’s the same guy.
Ripperger is a fill-in umpire up from Triple-A and Roenicke no doubt just earned himself a fine from MLB.
And here’s video of Roenicke’s anti-Ripperger tirade. It was Roenicke’s fourth ejection of the season and, for a fill-in umpire, Ripperger has ejected quite a few managers and players this season.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)