Aug 28, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Last night after the Brewers lost to the Padres in extra innings manager Ron Roenicke tore into home plate umpire Mark Ripperger, who ejected Roenicke from the game in the ninth inning.
Ripperger was previously the home plate umpire for a Brewers win over the Mets in July and apparently Roenicke was angry at him then too, so he said the following to Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last night:
This is the thing that bothers me: This is the same umpire that we had before, and he is terrible behind home plate. He calls pitches that aren’t even close. The catcher sets up six inches off the plate and he calls them strikes. I should have been kicked out the last time that we saw him. He was behind the plate.
I’m tired of sitting here watching the catcher set up off the plate and hitting his glove and calling it a strike. They’re balls. So Frankie misses, OK, it’s off the plate this much, the first one he calls a ball. He’s been calling it all night. The next one was a little further off, but he’s been calling that also. Just call the same pitches, but they’re balls. I should have been kicked out in probably the second inning today. It’s the same guy.
Ripperger is a fill-in umpire up from Triple-A and Roenicke no doubt just earned himself a fine from MLB.
And here’s video of Roenicke’s anti-Ripperger tirade. It was Roenicke’s fourth ejection of the season and, for a fill-in umpire, Ripperger has ejected quite a few managers and players this season.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20