Masahiro Tanaka pitches a simulated game, on track to pitch in September

Aug 28, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

Masahiro Tanaka pitched a simulated game this morning. He tossed 49 pitches and, according to those who watched it, he utilized his entire repertoire of pitches, splitter included. His command was a bit rusty, but afterwards, the Yankees manager waxed optimistic:

At the moment the Yankees are six games behind the Orioles in the AL East but only two and a half back of the Mariners, who sit in the second wild card slot. Between them: the Tigers. So, yes, having Tanaka back would be a pretty big deal.

1. Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 28, 2014 at 11:08 AM

It would be complete utter bullcrap for him to comeback this season! Dammit! I can’t believe that never say die attitude is crawling to him. AGAIN!

AND F*** sanspo about lying if he comes back again there!

• Ren - Aug 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Mostly it’s on Tanaka’s decision… He wants to play and win alongside his teammates just like back with Rakuten, you just can’t hate that fightin spirit he has in him.

• Ayase Yano (綾瀬市 矢野) - Aug 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I’m just worried about his injury bud, this is the first time in his career having a serious injury like that. If you wanted him to stay healthy then it would be better if he comes back next season.

And trust me, I’ve seen this guy played a whole lot already. He’s really pushing his limits at situations like this when it comes to winning. And THAT’S what worries me the most.

2. pete2112 - Aug 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM

If they keep playing meaningful games and continue to pursue the 2nd wildcard spot, why not? It they were more than six games out I might think otherwise, but they’re probably playing their more consistent ball of the season now. Of course that could change starting tonight.

• girardisbraces - Aug 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Part of me is with you on this, but the bigger part of me says this isn’t going to end well. I really, really hope I’m wrong.

• pete2112 - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I hear you. I’m just thinking that it’s not going to end well for Tanaka no matter if it’s this season or next. Everything I hear about this type of tear is that it’s not a matter if it will tear but rather when.

• larrymahnken - Aug 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Roy Halladay.

3. SocraticGadfly - Aug 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM

He pitched a simulated game?

Oh, you mean, he threw game-type pitches to the current Yankee batting order. :)

Gotcha.

• pete2112 - Aug 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

That means he’s threw a perfect game.

• pete2112 - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Done no one see the joke in that??? Jeez… tough crowd.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Well, I had hinted at that, and you hit the “pipeline” pitch … no accounting for taste.

• pete2112 - Aug 28, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I just figured I would deliver the punchline, which fell incredibly flat and somehow misunderstood. Oh well.

4. bigmeechy74 - Aug 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Of course. Why not? He’s destined for TJ surgery but then out of the blue he is fine again. Typical cheesiness from the yankees. Just like Shane Greene being the second coming of Randy Johnson for NO REASON and brandon mccarthy being better than greg maddux. what a cheesy team. Just load up with 37 year old washed up players and no name scrubs and watch the W’s pile up!!!

• slartibartfast4242 - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Dude, I’ve got to ask. What’s your deal?

• pete2112 - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I gave up trying to figure him out. I just go with it now and good things seem to happen.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - Aug 28, 2014 at 1:09 PM

He’s a troll, just ignore him (bigmeechy)

5. pisano - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:00 PM

If they’re smart they’ll shut him down for the rest of the season, his pitching is not going to make or break the season for them.

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Latest ESPN odds put Yanks’ playoff shot at 9.8 percent. Of course, there’s about zero AL East title shot. So, less than 10 percent odds of a 1-game crapshoot. Right, shut him down.

• pete2112 - Aug 28, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Those odd are probably right on the money, but if they continue to play like this into September they could definitely make it interesting for the other wildcard teams involved. I agree that a 1-game crapshoot doesn’t mean much to lose the in the next series, but crazier things have happened… well maybe not.

6. sdelmonte - Aug 28, 2014 at 2:50 PM

According to Wall-E Matthews (not necessarily reliable), Tanaka said through his interpreter that he isn’t so sure about coming back yet. He seems to be erring on the side of caution. Which I think makes a ton of sense for him, and for the Yankees. Rushing to get him back would be penny wise and huge contract foolish.

7. girardisbraces - Aug 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I still cannot believe that they have no plans on doing any follow-up scans. I don’t care how good that arm feels, if I’m the Yankees I’m protecting my investment and checking that arm.

And Tanaka’s getting paid either way, but I’m sure he wants to perform for the pay.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3305)