Aug 28, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
The Mets announced this evening that All-Star second baseman Daniel Murphy is headed to the disabled list with a right calf strain. In a corresponding roster move, prospect infielder Dilson Herrera will be called up from Double-A Binghamton.
Murphy left Sunday’s game with the injury and hasn’t progressed as hoped. He was sent for an MRI today and there’s no clear timetable for his return.
Herrera, who was acquired from the Pirates in the Marlon Byrd deal last August, was batting .340/.406/.560 with 10 home runs and 48 RBI over 61 games in Double-A this season. This was after putting up a .307/.355/.410 batting line over 67 games with High-A St. Lucie.
The promotion comes as a bit of a surprise, as the 20-year-old Herrera was the youngest player in the Eastern League, but he was required to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason. The Murphy injury ultimately moved up the timeline and gives him a chance to get some major league experience going into 2015. That could be a valuable thing if the Mets consider trading Murphy this offseason.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 20
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 17
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 50
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)