Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Vic Black has emerged as an effective late-inning bridge for the Mets this season, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck.
According to Matt Ehalt of the Bergen Record, Black is also dealing with bone spurs on his vertabrae. After receiving a cortisone shot today, the Mets ultimately decided to place him on the disabled list rather than go short-handed in their bullpen until rosters expand on September 1. As of now, there is no consideration to shutting him down for the season. They’ll have to hope that he avoids a better fate than Bobby Parnell, who was diagnosed with a herniated disk last year and eventually required surgery.
Black, who was acquired from the Pirates last August in the Marlon Byrd deal, owns a 2.20 ERA and 31/18 K/BB ratio over 32 2/3 innings this season. While his control is a work in progress, he has made a knack out of stranding inherited runners.
With Black sidelined, the Mets have activated right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka from the disabled list. The 33-year-old had a 3.87 ERA and 71/44 K/BB ratio over 74 1/3 innings this season prior to going down last month with elbow inflammation.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)