Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Vic Black has emerged as an effective late-inning bridge for the Mets this season, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck.
According to Matt Ehalt of the Bergen Record, Black is also dealing with bone spurs on his vertabrae. After receiving a cortisone shot today, the Mets ultimately decided to place him on the disabled list rather than go short-handed in their bullpen until rosters expand on September 1. As of now, there is no consideration to shutting him down for the season. They’ll have to hope that he avoids a better fate than Bobby Parnell, who was diagnosed with a herniated disk last year and eventually required surgery.
Black, who was acquired from the Pirates last August in the Marlon Byrd deal, owns a 2.20 ERA and 31/18 K/BB ratio over 32 2/3 innings this season. While his control is a work in progress, he has made a knack out of stranding inherited runners.
With Black sidelined, the Mets have activated right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka from the disabled list. The 33-year-old had a 3.87 ERA and 71/44 K/BB ratio over 74 1/3 innings this season prior to going down last month with elbow inflammation.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)