Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Vic Black has emerged as an effective late-inning bridge for the Mets this season, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck.
According to Matt Ehalt of the Bergen Record, Black is also dealing with bone spurs on his vertabrae. After receiving a cortisone shot today, the Mets ultimately decided to place him on the disabled list rather than go short-handed in their bullpen until rosters expand on September 1. As of now, there is no consideration to shutting him down for the season. They’ll have to hope that he avoids a better fate than Bobby Parnell, who was diagnosed with a herniated disk last year and eventually required surgery.
Black, who was acquired from the Pirates last August in the Marlon Byrd deal, owns a 2.20 ERA and 31/18 K/BB ratio over 32 2/3 innings this season. While his control is a work in progress, he has made a knack out of stranding inherited runners.
With Black sidelined, the Mets have activated right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka from the disabled list. The 33-year-old had a 3.87 ERA and 71/44 K/BB ratio over 74 1/3 innings this season prior to going down last month with elbow inflammation.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)